Puppy first nights

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Yipandyap
Puppy
First Name: Steven

Puppy first nights

Post by Yipandyap »

Hi, we are getting an 11 week old puppy from our breeder at the end of August.
Naturally the whole family is excited and busily getting things ready for our new household member.
We’ve never had a puppy before but intended for him to sleep in a crate at night in a different room. We don’t want to encourage him to sleep in the bedroom but a lot of articles suggest to keep the crate in the bedroom overnight.
From experience does anyone have any reccomendations ?
Thanks
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy first nights

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum and how exciting for you.

I kept Otto's pen in the place where it was going to be permanently so it was put in the kitchen/diner. I left the kitchen door open and had a baby monitor so I could hear any cries etc. (Really recommend a baby monitor with camera, fascinating and really useful if pup is unwell or needing you). I would do the same again.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum.

Both my girls have been crated in my bedroom at nights. The reason behind the recommendation is that it is easier to be wakened should the pup need to go to the loo during the night and you can take them outside. The first girl only ever got me up on 3 occasions before being let out of the crate at night; the younger one (9 weeks old) is still in her crate and after 7 nights of getting up with her waking around 3 to pee and poo has now gone three successive nights from 10pm to 6.30 am.

The alternative, I'd say, is to crate your pup in the utility room with the crate door open and the utility room door closed and a puppy pad or newspaper at the back door so that should they need to go out they won't be forced to foul in their bed. That could be something that would set your toilet training back.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Steven,

With my first Schnauzer I did exactly as mentioned above.

We kept Oscar downstairs in the kitchen and utility room, with a child gate across the kitchen door. His crate was in the utility room and I kept the door open for him to wander around and settle where he wanted to (he also had a small bed in the kitchen itself). The first night was really tough and he cried a fair bit, against most advice here from people more knowledgeable than me, I did go down to him (as I couldn't bear him being upset, all alone in a new house without his Mum and siblings.....yes I am a softy), so I would lay next to his crate and soothe him. When he had gone back to sleep, I would creep upstairs to bed. He would then wake around 5.30am, crying at the gate, so I would go down for cuddles with him.

In terms of toilet, it was a tiled floor and we put pads and newspaper down in case of emergencies but it wasn't too long before he was able to go through the night without any accidents. It was funny because he picked up very quickly that he didn't want to go toilet in the house, it had to be outside.

Also, those 5am or 5.30am times when Oscar woke and I used to sit with him and have cuddles were a really special time, he was still a little sleepy and wanting company....if you get the opportunity to do that yourself and you have the time, it's so worth it.

But all puppies are different, and react/behave differently so what works for some, may not work for others.

You will be all good, try and be consistent in what you do and above all, show your puppy loads of love and care and you will have a beautiful pooch :)
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 15:39 Also, those 5am or 5.30am times when Oscar woke and I used to sit with him and have cuddles were a really special time, he was still a little sleepy and wanting company....if you get the opportunity to do that yourself and you have the time, it's so worth it.
I agree Mike. I always got up with Rosie and I'm the one getting up with Edie and I love those cuddle times - a great chance for the dog to bond with you.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Me too with Oscar, I ignored the advice about leaving them if they cry. On the first night Oscar cried 3 times and I went down to him each time, cuddled him until he went off again and gently popped him back into his pen. He only did that for 2 nights and then slept straight through and never fouled his pen. Otto meanwhile never ever cried, I went down at 6 am on the first morning and I honestly thought that he might have died.... He had been used to going on paper and it took ages to house train him. What the breeder does has a huge influence I think.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Yipandyap
Puppy
First Name: Steven

Post by Yipandyap »

Thanks. Really broad experiences. Guess I’ll have to wait and see how he is.
When I’m taking him for toilet breaks at night. I’m guess keep the lead on let him do his business but keep praise low key and pop him back in the crate.
During the day do the rewards etc.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Gino is 15 mths & has been crated in our bedroom since the day we brought him home he gave a couple of whimpers the first night then settled no bother would recommend & would do the same again.

As with our Suzi she was left crated in the kitchen & it was a nightmare she howled the place down we didn't get much sleep the first week we had to give up the crate as she was going to hurt herself eventually once she was house trained she was allowed to sleep in our bedroom in her own bed. She was much happier being beside us.

We said when we brought Gino home he would be in our room from day one. Gino loves his crate where as Suzi hated it.

Have to say though think it helped that the Breeder had them in a large crate.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl