Breathing rate

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Gems
First Name: Gemma
Dog #1: Einstein
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Sep 2018

Breathing rate

Post by Gems »

Hey,
I’m a new owner of a 9 week old minature schnauzer and I’m a bit worried that he is breathing very fast when he is asleep when I’d expect it to be at its lowest respiration rate.
Hoping it’s just me being an over anxious new owner. All advice welcome!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Breathing rate

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Gemma and welcome to the Forum :-)

It may be that your puppy is dreaming. A puppy's brain undergoes massive development in the first few months of life and this can mean they breathe fast, twitch and shake their limbs when asleep. However, if you think there is anything more serious, do let a vet examine Einstein if he has not already had a health check up.

If he is fine and active when awake and not coughing or listless, it is probably nothing to worry about. You could video him while asleep if this continues and show the vet when you have him checked out. Have a word with his breeder too who may be able to offer advice, knowing what he was like before he came to live with you.

It is always a worrying time when you first get a puppy. Hopefully this is nothing to be concerned about however.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Gemma

I noticed that Otto used to breathe very fast when sleeping when he was a young pup too. I was reassured at the puppy check with the vet when he listened to his heart. It is a bit scary isn't it. If he appears normal at all other times like playing then as Leigh says, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Welcome to the Worriers' Club...... :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
PeggieO
Puppy
First Name: Scott
Dog #1: Peggie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 19 May 2018

Post by PeggieO »

I got worried about the same thing when my pup first arrived and ended up sending a video of it to the vet - was told not to worry. Her breathing seemed to calm down after a few weeks :)