Sorry if TMI...

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Sorry if TMI...

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi all,

Gosh I seem to be on here an awful lot recently. Apologies for asking so much advice!

Our little Monty has been doing incredibly well. However, last night in his sleep, he vomited. It was very unexpected. He was vibrant and alert all day, playing and eating. My thought is that he is still getting used to his new diet - finally on Barking Heads Puppy Days now from Royal Canin originally. This was his second day on all Barking Heads after an eight day or so transition. We moisten the kibble, but I did this a little less for his dinner so it was a little dryer and crunchier. I wonder if this is what made him poorly. He had his last meal at 5:30pm and was sick at 10:30pm. The vomit was a lightish brown, and had some granulated bits in it. No red or yellow. I'm thinking it was his food semi digested. He gagged for a couple of minutes afterwards to which was very scary to watch. And his little tummy was grumbling like crazy. He fell straight back to sleep after this episode.

He's also been having some softer poos the last two or three days. The morning poos are always firm but they almost get softer as the day progresses. Nothing like diarrhea, but definitely softer and a tad more Mr Whippy like, rather than firm straight little things. He poos three or four times a day. I'm pretty sure it's diet related.

This morning Monty woke up full of vigour as usual, trying to nip at my ankles and chasing me around the house. I have to be honest, I was relieved. I made him some boiled white rice (very very mushy) and some chicken breast boiled. All very plain. I wasn't sure how much to feed him. He is 2.5kg and nine weeks old. I did a couple of tablespoons of rice and quarter of a chicken breast cut up finely. Is this quantity ok? I've got some left over in the fridge for his lunch. Am I ok reheating this and letting it return to room temp or should I just cook him some fresh?

Like I say, he seems absolutely normal. You wouldn't know he had been sick. He's eating (not drinking as much maybe) playing and sleeping. I'm just worried I suppose. We have fallen in love with him. Any advice you could give on reintroducing the Barking Heads post-chicken and rice would be much appreciated. Can I moisten this kibble and add it to the chicken and rice, a little bit more substitued day by day?

Thank you so much.

Emma
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Sorry if TMI...

Post by Oscar 12345 »

As I said in my other post, I would go back to the original food that he was ok with before you attempt to try anything new. I think you said that you had introduced another new wet food Nature something or other to the Barking Heads. This is the problem you get when you introduce too many new things at the same time. So, I would suggest you go back to the RC, get his tummy settled then either introduce the Barking Heads much slower or try a new one introduced over a week, the Nature wet puppy might suit him better. It isn't recommended to reheat rice by the way. Room temperature is ok for the chicken and rice but it has very little nutrients in it for an adult never mind a puppy so you don't want to be feeding this for long. Hope his tum gets back to normal soon.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Ok, thank you so much for that Julie. Yes we will definitely get him settled. Chicken and rice will only be for today I think just to make sure nothing else occurs. Then a slow reintroduction of RC. Not going to think beyond getting him totally settled. Then we will reassess diet options.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I'd recommend sweet potato over white rice. its got more fibre and lots of nutrients. Rice, unless it has turned to porridge like consistency can give them wind. Just bake it like you would normal potato in the microwave and scoop out the flesh.

The only silly question is the one you didn't ask ;)

We do require payment in puppy photos though =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Deal... Here's Monty. You really wouldn't know he had been poorly. I really never knew I could fall in love with this little man so quickly! I am nervous transitioning him back onto kibble. A moistened kibble, mushy rice, chicken mix doesn't quite sound right!

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Such a very sweet pup. Emma, do you need some help on the food? If you are going back to your original RC (kibble??) then you shouldn't need to transition over a long period because his tummy will be used to that food. His poop should get back to what it was like in a couple of days so you don't need to mix with the chicken and rice... Does that help? Also, are you still feeding 4 times/day or have you transitioned to 3 yet? (Can't remember how old he is). If you are nervous, let us know, we are here to help you and Monty.
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Julie,

Thank you. You are all just so lovely and supportive. I've been doing so much research over the last couple of days. He was on chicken and rice yesterday - all ok. Today, he has spent the day so far on rice and chicken, but with 10g of RC kibble (moistened and soft) added for each meal. I've lessened the rice and chicken to accommodate this. His normal amount is 40g of RC three times a day so I'm trying to do a 75% rice and chicken and 25% kibble. Shall I transition faster than this? He's 9 and half weeks old and came to us on three meals a day from the breeder. Just received his KC certificate today which was lovely :)

I'm not worried per se, I just don't want to see him sick again. He vomited once and his poop was never diarrhea as such thankfully. It was always firm in the morning but got progressively more volumous and softer throughout the day. Not that he cared too much. He's gobbling down his food so I am slowing him down and have just ordered one of those anti-gulp bowl things. The joy of Amazon Prime means that will be here tomorrow.

And I am analysing every poop he does! They are firm, but less frequent at the moment. On the chicken and rice they were a tad lighter too rather than a chocolate brown. Toilet training is going well in general, but he doesn't have any sort of poop pattern as yet!

Would be keen to hear how fast I could transition back to RC. He has his second vaccination on Monday. I can't wait. Means we are ever closer to being able to take him out for a walk in the morning to burn off that bitey energy!

Thanks again, all. I appreciate all of your advice no end!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Emma,

I am sure others will also contribute to this to help you. Your pup should really be on 4 meals/day until 3 months old so 12 weeks and then reduce again down to 2 meals at 6 months. Just divide recommended daily intake by 4. The smaller more frequent meals will help with the digestion. They can be gobblers so it is good to slow him down if he is eating too quickly and sometime they do swallow kibble whole instead of crunching. If Monty was ok on his RC food then I would put him straight back on to it or do 50 - 50 in the morning and then fully on to it in the afternoon. I had absolutely no poop or pee pattern with Otto. His house training schedule looked like a game of battleships and it really was anybody's guess.... :-\
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He's adorable :x I am slightly bias to whites though :D

If he has regular feed times he should develop regular toilet habits. Of course this has happened yet as his feedings been topsy turvey this week. Its all about creating routine.

Out of interest whats his pedigree name ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Hi

What a gorgeous pup! They certainly do steal your heart!

Sorry I can't help with the "what and when to feed a puppy" as Ollie was already 1 y.o. when we got him and on (a not very good!) kibble. We have since moved him onto grain free kibble and pate type food mixed in.

What I wanted to say was, whenever he is poorly (and it doesn't get any easier to see him unwell I am afraid!) we do chicken and rice in tiny amounts to get him back on track. I have also done sweet potato and chicken for no other reason than, i think he prefers it. I don't tend to have sweet pots in all the time (can't stand them personally!) but i do always have rice! We do this over a few days and then slowly reintroduce some kibble - a bit more each meal.

Once i have cooked the rice/chicken/sweet pot, i didn't reheat it; just took some out of the fridge and put it in his bowl. He doesn't go straight to his bowl when his food is put out so it would sit there a few minutes before he eats. He does have one of the anti-gulp bowls mainly because although it takes him a bit to get interested in the food, once he is into it, he inhales it and he used to make himself sick with this. I suspect he wouldn't be as bad now he is older but we haven't been brave enough to transfer him back to a standard bowl!

He is only really on one meal a day now. He seems happy enough with this and he is nearly 6 now.

A lot of what we have learnt is trial and error! I can't say "do this" or "do that" because they are all different but it is definitely all about getting him into your routine. Good luck. x
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Thank you so much.

We've had Monty on 50% kibble, 50% white rice and chicken so far today for two meals. All good and firm poos. May attempt the 75% kibble to 25% chicken and rice for dinner. It's hard to equate the two really when you ratio it, but it seems to be working at the moment.

Hopefully tomorrow he'll be back on his dry food completely and we will take it from there. Monty's new anti-gulp bowl should be here in time for dinner so we will see how he takes to it!

We'd like to get him grain free ideally. He had a vet check a couple of days after we picked him up and we mentioned Monty's back paws. For some reason Monty likes to lick them and nibble a bit. He also itches on occasion around his collar area (he's not wearing one in the home, only when he pops out). The thing is, I have no idea how much itching is too much as he's my first dog. It's nothing major; no broken skin or irritation, just an odd couple of little quirks. The vet gave him a thorough check and said it could be food allergy or anxiety from leaving his littermates and mum. I'm thinking an allergy, but it's nothing too debilitating, so we will just monitor it for now. An inspiring little chew toy tends to divert his attention anyhow!

Thanks again. Your advice really is invaluable. ^:)^

Emma
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Emma - just reading through your posts above and saw your mention of wanting to take Monty out for a walk. Are you taking him out anyway in your arms or in a buggy or carrier? It is really important with young puppies to get them accustomed to the sights and sounds of the outside world as soon as possible. In the first three months most pups will welcome new experiences but a “fear phase” can set in after that when pups may show fear of new people, sounds etc. Mental stimulation actually tires out young pups more than physical exercise so even when not taking Monty out try using games and toys and training exercises which will challenge him mentally. Also do make sure he has regular rest periods so he does not become overtired as biting is always worse at these times.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Leigh,

Yes we do take him out and about. We went to visit family, about half an hours car drive away. He got to meet some smaller human beings ( a boisterous 3 year old and a 6 year old) and coped very well. We often take him for tiny wanders around the block in our arms, and he has the garden. We've had a few visitors too and has had an introductory vet visit.

He's also getting used to our cat Macaroon slowly but surely. The only thing he seems fearful of is the Dyson. I'm guessing it's the high frequency sound. But this is getting better!
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

So we have been on 100 per cent dry food moistened with water since last meal on Thursday and all is well. He is demolishing his food and enjoying his grub.

We tried one anti gulp bowl but it wasn't working. It was way to intricate in its design and Monty couldn't even reach the food with his puppy muzzle. Instead we've taken to putting the bowl down and letting him eat for three second, lifting the bowl, allowing him to settle and then repeat. At each point we are getting him to sit and wait which he seems to enjoy. Only a couple of bouts of hiccups and lovely (if you can describe them as lovely!) poops so all good.

Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

So glad Monty is picking up, they are such a worry! Sounds like you have cracked it!

Ollie is still wary of the Dyson 5 years later! He wants to be on the ground level with it but then is scared of it moving! Crazy!

I know the bowls you mean, way too complicated! We have a quite cheap one that has just got three raised "blobs" in a triangle shape so he has to eat round those. Slows him down enough!