Coping with new pup and established dogs

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Lorfal
Puppy
First Name: lorraine

Coping with new pup and established dogs

Post by Lorfal »

Perhaps not unique to schnauzers....but I’d apprecite if any one has any issues with new pup coming into home with other dogs.

One of our Cockapoos is just great with our mini pup of 9 weeks, the other has been snarly and not tolerant. It’s a worry as she is also in bedroom with us at night in her crate, and the troublesome poo is in his cave at the other side of bedroom. He’s rather territorial with his cave, the other poo knows this and just go there. The pup has gotten close and he’s is very snarly and snappy.

He is very jealous if pup plays with the other poo. I am hoping it’s because it’s all new to him but have ordered a muzzle ....just in case.

The pup is fearless and tries to approach him. Poos quiet space is under the table.....and yep....that’s where pup wants to go.

None of them are ever left alone, we are watching like hawks.....bit I’m worried
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Coping with new pup and established dogs

Post by zeta1454 »

It is often unpredictable how resident dogs will react to a new puppy and, although most become accustomed to the newcomer and will be best buddies, some remain just tolerant and others may never want to engage with a puppy at all. It is rare though that it will become active aggression.

You do need to make sure that your older dogs have their favourite spaces protected from the puppy especially if one of them is not keen on her. Although you are allowing the puppy to sleep in the bedroom, she should only be there in her crate and not with free access to the rest of the room.

It may be more difficult with the "under the table" space but, if you can protect that from the puppy, I would do so, or encourage the older dogs to find a more inaccessible safe space. Older dogs often will find alternative places if they feel their usual space is no longer "secure" :-)

I would be reluctant to use a muzzle unless as a last resort as this may add to the cockapoo's resentment of the puppy. If there is a real worry of aggression rather than just a bit of snappiness, make sure that the two are not left alone together and that when they are in the same room that the puppy is in her crate or somewhere out of reach.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lorfal
Puppy
First Name: lorraine

Re: Coping with new pup and established dogs

Post by Lorfal »

Thankyou , incredibly helpful. I’ve kinda replied in another thread .....I’ve posted everywhere lol......we are fortunate that pup will never be left alone with the dogs. The poo in question did come to sniff her nicely today and was treated for his good behaviour. When we are together with all three and it’s clam they all get made sit together for treats and lots of praise.....that went well. Small progress I guess. However today he snarled when she got too close to him...... she is so quick off the mark!

We are making sure our dogs are given the space they need and are used to. Tonight she will be zipped up!
I still can’t say at this moment I’m not worried sick