Puppy Teething Stages

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Puppy Teething Stages

Post by GoEmGo »

We have just returned from the vet with Monty, who was an absolute star (apart from pooping and weeing in reception as we left.... =)) )

The vet was lovely and gave him a clean bill of health. Monty's 19 weeks old tomorrow and weighs 5.9kg.

The main reason we went is because we thought Monty had lost a couple of his incisors. I actually found one post-sock chew. But the vet said he's lost a fair few teeth and he's actually quite an early bird with his teething. His adult molars are emerging already. I suppose this explains his prolfic chewing and occasonal excessive nippiness these past couple of weeks. And he does have an ever so slight underbite, so isn't show ring material (not that we'd be showing him anyway!) We have to keep an eye on his canines just to make sure they don't get pushed outwards but his little puppy ones haven't fallen out yet. I'm not overly worried at all, but the vet did mention doggy braces potentially once his teeth are all settled that my partner found hilarious!

I just wondered how other pups got on with teething. When were all the puppy teeth out and the adult set in? It seems odd how his molars are through but most of his incisors still there (albeit very loose!) Or perhaps this isn't as unusual as the vet made it sound?!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy Teething Stages

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Emma, Monty is definitely a good 3-4 weeks earlier than Otto and it took a while for Otto to lose is baby teeth. I remember 1 or 2 retained puppy teeth at 6 months of age but they went with good games of tug and difficult to get out treat filled kongs. I remember specifically having to concentrate the games on one particular tooth and within 4 days it was out. To be honest I didn't even notice when his molars came through. I just found the little baby teeth in unusual places.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Puppy Teething Stages

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney was 6 months when he lost his last baby tooth. It came out at the vets at his 6 month check up =)) His adult incisor had come through but the baby one was still there for a week or so.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"