Got a problem

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Got a problem

Post by Dawnspell »

If Jasper is awake he is a full on biting mouthing demon :D We have 2 wire crates schnauzer size and a big one the gaps between the bars are the same on both. Jasper tries to chew the bars on both crates, the problem is he's got the bar wedged behind his back teeth of upper jaw and got stuck on more than one occasion. This obviously leads to lots of squealing as hes panicked.

We've always been around when it's happened but I darent leave him on his own in the crate if we go out incase it happens while we're out and he can't get free. Kind of defeats the object of the crate being a safe place. Anybody any suggestions ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Re: Got a problem

Post by redalert »

I know its more expense, but what about a soft "cage" or maybe a babies play pen, usually the bars only run vertically, other than that, can only suggest maybe attaching some old sheets/blankets on the inside of the cage and pulling them very tight so he can't get any leverage on the bars behind it. Little monkey, isn'[t he.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Alison, we have had to do a lot of diy in the past to resolve Otto's mischief. A couple of things occur to me. Buying a play pen with the vertical bars as Sue suggests, shame we don't live closer you could have borrowed mine. Or, if you have any cheap ply wood, getting your OH to make you a small pen as an interim or using pieces of ply on the outside of the crate (only as high as needs be) and securing them. Again as an interim. If you have an available corner in a room then you don't need 4 sides.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

We've got a vertical bars child playpen with gate but he could easily wriggle through the bars at the minute.He would make it his mission to, he's a determined little chap.
I'm not sure sheets are upto the task of controlling Jasper =))
More chance of me making plywood pen than hubby
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Alison, what about a soft playpen - maybe pick one up from Aladdin's Cave. My only concern would be that he'd bite it apart in no time.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Puppies can be a real challenge in the early months. We had one that head butted the water bowl on the side of the crate and got his head caught through the ring holder. Luckily I was there to see him do it and never left them with that water dish again!

It may depend whether you want to invest in extra expense for something that may only be needed for a short time until Jasper stops teething. A fabric crate or playpen could be safer but even then there is the possibility of him getting a sharp tooth snagged into the fabric which could also cause him distress and possible damage. Some of the large travel crates for airline travel can be more robust and the grille bars may be small enough to prevent him getting his jaws trapped but it may still be a risk you don't want to take. The option of a vertical bars playpen with closely set bars is probably the safest solution or, as the biggest worry is only when you go out, another suggestion would be to see if you can barricade off a section of a room where Jasper can be contained safely without bars and only use the crate when you can be around to see he's OK.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
snb1
Puppy
First Name: sally

Post by snb1 »

Oh my!
Quick word of warning...our schnauzer demon very quickly learnt to undo zips....amazing to watch...she knows exactly what to do even if you leave the zipper in a different position!!! Also with the soft crates (we have the croft ones) they can still dig and scratch and get caught up!!!
Vertical bars sound the way to go..
He is a schnauzer!!!!!
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

snb1 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 15:32 Oh my!
Quick word of warning...our schnauzer demon very quickly learnt to undo zips....amazing to watch...she knows exactly what to do even if you leave the zipper in a different position!!! Also with the soft crates (we have the croft ones) they can still dig and scratch and get caught up!!!
Vertical bars sound the way to go..
He is a schnauzer!!!!!
He sleeps in a small soft travel crate the top bit wasn't zipped up properly only a small gap and he almost managed to climb out through the top :-o

The only place for a pen without carpet is the kitchen but I think that would be too warm heat wave coming and an aga in there, or the entrance hallway which I've a feeling he'd end up barking at anything he saw outside which I don't want. I think its going to have be modifying a crate in someway. We've already got 4 different crates so don't want to buy a 5th hard travel crate :)) We've only got one dog !
Our first family dog
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It does sound like new schnauzer puppy is fully functioning and in very good working order. =))
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.