Advice please

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
DonnaJ13
First Name: DONNA

Advice please

Post by DonnaJ13 »

My family and I are considering getting a mini schnauzer this year. Our friends have one and we love him. We have a house rabbit and wondered if anyone could advise if this would be ok to have the two of them together at home? Any advice is much appreciated

Thank you

Donna
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Advice please

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Donna and welcome to the Forum :)

When we had our first mini schnauzers many years ago, we had two guinea pigs which lived in the house although did not have unsupervised free run of any rooms. Our minis were never left alone with the guinea pigs but showed no sign of wanting to harm them. I do know of people with cats and birds who live together in harmony as well as cats and dogs with pet rats and mice as well as rabbits.

From my own experience of having other species living in the same family (guinea pigs, cats, hens, bearded dragons) I think that if the puppy is brought up in close proximity with another creature (cats, rats, rabbits, birds etc.) they will regard them as part of the family and will not harm and may even protect them if needed. That is not to say that individuals of the same species which were met outside the family would not be viewed in an entirely different light and (if they are prey animals) possibly chased, attacked or even killed. A family with house rabbits who have three dogs bred by us including two mini schnauzers have never had any problems between the animals.

So I think it should be fine to have a mini schnauzer and house rabbit living together as long as they are carefully introduced right from the start and making sure that your rabbit is safe and comfortable with the meeting. Use a barrier between them initially to monitor reactions and never leave the two unsupervised together as a precaution.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Advice please

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the forum.

I know a lady here in Guernsey who had a house rabbit for a few months before she introduced a mini schnauzer into her home. They all live a very happy life together though, the schnauzer and rabbit are never left free to roam when they are left alone. One, or both of them, is crated.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/