Puppy Biting help

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Puppy Biting help

Post by RoseHunter »

Ok, I need help here.

As some may know I recently got an adorable little girl called Leyna who is a standard Schnauzer

What I need help with is the biting and 'hair pulling' I have long hair and she constantly goes for it, also I'm the only one she play bites (won't bite my parents), any advice on how to at least reduce how much or how hard she bites as me saying 'ow' doesn't seem to get the message across. I've tried redircting and that partly worked but she still goes to bite my arms and hands and hair.

I will say I'm also the only one she'll cuddle it seems as none of my parents get cuddles from her but she'll actively seek me out for a cuddle.
oldie
First Name: Meg
Dog #1: Chloe
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Dec 2008

Re: Puppy Biting help

Post by oldie »

Hello Rose :-) for biting and pulling hair Leyna needs to learn it will not bring the reward of attention/play . When Layna displays this behavior stand up/fold your arms across your chest/ turn away from her /no word no eye contact then the moment she is calm reward with calm praise so that she learns being calm brings the reward of attention .
Do not excpect instant sucess, you need to be patient and consistant.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Jasper has always been very mouthy, he still is. Those puppy teeth are sharp we were all covered in scratches from him. The standing still like a tree didnt really work with him he would still carry on biting your feet :)) I'd forgotten how much until I came to start wearing my summer trainer liner socks and they've all got little holes in from last summer =))

When he was in that mode I found offering a sturdy chew like a pizzle or calf hoof that I could hold helped. It would get him still and he would hang on to it if I started walking and would ignore the feet. As for hair just try and keep it out of reach. There have been many owners that have got a 2nd schnauzer pup and the 1st has almost ended up beardless due to puppy tugging.

Jasper always has to have something in his mouth, he'll go to sleep with a toy in his mouth and gets hold of your hand in his mouth and sort of sucks on it and for some reason he likes his canine teeth being held :-o
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Post by Frederickdawg »

I’m going through this with Tobias now. It started recently, he gets very nippy and deviant when he’s tired it would appear. If we ignore him he’ll just go roam around looking for trouble. It normally indicates a time for a power nap. I always under estimated this aspect when they are puppies until now.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I have noticed times when Ozzy goes roaming around and looking for trouble. It's always when we are busy or trying to watch TV. But if I've given him enough excersise and mental stimulation, there's no reason he can't relax a bit with a chew or have a nap. Yes! Naps are very important for puppies. Ozzy used to whine when he was ready for a nap, but they can get really rowdy like a kid on sugar but worse because they have the mini shark teeth!