What to look for when buying a puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Stortpark
Puppy

Re: What to look for when buying a puppy

Post by Stortpark »

That's v cheap, I was quoted between £253 - £477 for Cruz.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Carl I know vets are quite pricey round your neck of the woods, Linda pays hefty old vet bills at her vet. My vets in hertfordshire is really reasonable, I can enquire what they would charge if you like?
Stortpark
Puppy

Post by Stortpark »

That would be kind of you Dannii, or even give your vets number and I can do it.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I'll ring them today because they are not actively taking on new clients so i may have to put her through on my account but they are really good! The lady Jennifer is a very good old fashioned style vets and nothing seems to be overpriced there.
Stortpark
Puppy

Post by Stortpark »

thanks Dannii
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I asked the receptionist today whilst in for an infection wth sapphire but she said ring tomorrow morning to speak to the vet nurse so ill let you know when i have found out.
Stortpark
Puppy

Post by Stortpark »

Kk thanks Dannii,

While your there I would like to know her charge for a c-section, Rio was opened up last time and she's due again in may. So if she's reasonably price and willing to do it if needs be then it might be better to come to her. It's only 10 on the journey from going to my vets.

Thks Dannii
SarahW
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Synnu
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 20 Jun 2010
Dog #2: Tsieina
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 19 May 2011

Post by SarahW »

Following my recent experience I'd also add that when you pay your deposit be absolutely clear what you're paying for. What happens if, on the agreed date, the puppy isn't well (even if it's something minor). You should be 100% clear about what you're buying and under what circumstances you have the right to your money back (or at least the option for it back).
'Mum' to Synnu and Tsieina
Synnu ('sunny') is a mixed breed (Synnu = surprise in Welsh). Tsieina ('chay-nah') is a Mini Schnau (Tsieina = china in Welsh).
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

and get a signed receipt!
mummysnoo
First Name: Frances
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 09 Oct 2009

Post by mummysnoo »

Gosh £50 cheap for dew claws, my Vet won't do it below 8 months as its regarded as "an amputation" and the price £300.

Great post Danni, I wish I had of known about this forum when I bought my first Mini puppy, and that was from an reputable breeder, she covered all points as stated but I still ended up with a Mini with crooked teeth, but I loved him to bits imperfect or not!!
SCHNAUZERS ARE LIKE CHIPS, ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH...........

Alfie my black Mini boy born 9th Oct 2009, my pal, my mentor, my friend.

R.I.P Charlie, Harvey and Bobby. R.I.P Oscar, Alfie's Grandad 15.12.12
cuchulain

Post by cuchulain »

You are still legally allowed to remove dewclaws yourself, provided the pups' eyes haven't opened.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

My vet charges £10 a pup, which isn't terrible I thought.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Mine charged £17 per pup on the condition the pup was under 5 days old. They then won't do it until 6 months at which point an anesthetic is required.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I dont pay for mine to be done a friend does it but i have another friend who does it for £7 a puppy.
nujaxshowdogs
Puppy
First Name: Amy

Post by nujaxshowdogs »

I have to say I completely disagree with Dannie. We breed and show 3 different breeds and have shown 5 different breeds previously, and own more than 10 dogs and all my dogs have great care and attention paid to them. My dogs have me full time and I do not go off to work leave them or drag them into work with me to sit in a crate all day. Having a larger number of dogs or multiple breeds gives no indication on how well dogs are kept or bred. I know of and have heard of many more people who only breed Miniature Schnauzers, have less than 10 dogs and breed only for commercial gain with no intent of improving on there own dogs let alone the breed. They just breed the same dog to the same bitch together and yes they are a pedigree but no care or thought has gone into whether the dog or bitch were right for each other. We plan each litter carefully to improve our own line and to better the breed and go to great lengths to import new lines in to the country. So whether you are going to a breeder with one breed or 5 plus breeds the same care and attention needs to be made to find out if the breeder does things for the right reasons!!!!