What to look for when buying a puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
KMW
First Name: Karen

Re: What to look for when buying a puppy

Post by KMW »

Thakns so much fo this - excellent information and guidance - am glad to know that we're on the right track with waht to look out for.

One question - is there much difference in temperament between a boy and a girl?

K
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I would just add to this, make sure you see registration papers of the puppy you're buying BEFORE YOU LEAVE WITH THE PUPPY or leave a deposit. Otherwise the breeder may be a liar and pretending the puppies are registered to gain a higher price. If they don't have the papers I would wait until they had them before picking up the puppy; a good breeder won't mind waiting and having the puppy for longer until the papers have arrived.
dogsbody74
First Name: babs
Dog #1: Shadow
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 0- 0-1970

Post by dogsbody74 »

talking about dew claws. I always removed them myself. They can be a nuisance unless trimmed regularly. My affen still has his-- and I find it annoying they were not removed.
Many years ago I had my first little cairn still with dewclaws. One got caught up in barbed wire and almost ripped off. ever since when I started breeding I made sure they were all removed . So basically they need regular trimming to ensure they are not curling into the leg.
wish all breeders removed them.
Evan Nicholls
First Name: Evan

Post by Evan Nicholls »

I’m a die-hard pet lover. I always love to see my pooch and kitty greet me when I back to home after long working hours. I feel so bliss that I have these forever friends in my life those who love me more than myself. They are speechless but I can understand their gestures because of the bonding we all share. But instead of buying a puppy why not adopt it. But still if you already made up your mind to buy a puppy then check this do to list:

1. Search about the different breeds of dogs and see that with whom you and your family will be comfortable.

2. Read out their care instructions or even consult with a veterinary doctors or friends those who already have the same breed.

3. Go to some good licensed pet store where you can get buy it and ask for all the documents.

4. Start reading the ways of grooming and about the grooming tools such as clippers for puppy.