Discussions regarding breeders

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Discussions regarding breeders

Post by Caramomo »

We don't allow breeders to be mentioned as it caused problems when allowed in the distant past.

Breeding practices vary greatly and some breeders disagree with others about what is responsible.

There are many out there who breed commercially, do the health tests, use good dogs and do everything required by the AB scheme. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole given the number of dogs/breeds they have. If I recommended people avoid them I could get myself and the forum in hot water as they are doing nothing illegal and are following all practices laid out by the ABS but there are a few practices I disagree with and in my mind they are not responsible breeders. They will have many puppy owners who disagree with me.

There are pet owners who breed who frankly haven't got a clue what they are doing, but the people who have their pups may be very happy with their dogs. I consider such breeders as bad as puppy farmers.

There are breeders who having met a family and spoken to them repeatedly suddenly become suspicious and their gut tells them not to let that family have a puppy, so they don't, possibly just days before the puppy is due to go to its new home.

A responsible breeder with an established breeding programme of decades of healthy dogs received the unwelcome shock of a litter of pups affected by a hereditary disease. They closed down their breeding lines to start afresh, informed the KC and breed clubs to spread the word as to the pedigree behind the unfortunate mating. The breeder did everything a responsible breeder should and yet was vilified on forums by other breeders for stirring the boat. Would you want that breeder to be so vilified, tormented and disgraced on this forum?

If a puppy farmer was mentioned on here repeatedly in a derogatory manner we would soon find ourselves confronted by their lawyers.

There are breeders of the various sizes that I would not want a puppy from, some have two many dogs, others produce litters commercially.

I have heard rumours one breeder does not know the names of all their dogs (I don't know the truth of this) but their dogs are regularly placed at shows and their lines are respected. Could you imagine the furore if I posted this breeders name and that accusation? Especially if it turned out to be false (I really hope it is).

Take several parties with viewpoints on different sides of these scenarios and suddenly our forum is not the friendly, welcoming, educational site dedicated to owners of our breed. It becomes a nasty, mud throwing, confrontational forum full of vicious comments and legal warnings. At which point it would be closed to protect the admin team and hosting service. It has happened before, it got so bad it could not be moderated, the only solution was to close that forum and this one was started. We are not prepared to let it happen again.

We are well aware our current members are friendly, welcoming, polite and capable of disagreeing whilst remaining civilised. That's how we would like the forum to stay. Previous experience has clearly demonstrated to us that allowing breeders to be discussed in open forum runs counter to the ethos of this forum.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Discussions regarding breeders

Post by Dinkum »

This question gets asked from time to time, so I thought it would be a good idea to put Elaine's post at the top of the help section, so that the reasoning behind the decision is clear to everyone.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

Good idea.
ImageBig dogs in little packages
HarTnett19
Puppy
First Name: Grin2016
Dog #1: Buster
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Mar 2012

Post by HarTnett19 »

Hi I am a new member to the forum and have read your advice on breeder discussions. However given your rules on this how may I post to get any breeder recommendations , if allowed.
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
As I'm sure you've seen from the various posts regarding breeders that it's a very touchy subject. If you want information regarding a specific breeder I would suggest you start a thread (probably in the "Breeding" section) along the lines of "Looking for a breeder near xxxxxxxxx" In the post you should say what you're looking for and how far you're prepared to travel (we went to Northern Ireland for our Reilly). So as not to upset anyone ask for replies via PM (personal message). You may need to make a few extra posts as you need five to use the PM facility (to foil the spammers).
Good luck.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

We have has schnauzers for over thirty years now,my thoughts about breeders are some good ones out and try to help people who want breed there dogs.on the other hand many breeders out there don't want anyone to breed outside there circle.ask why yes maybe to keep the breed right but I think it may come down to money .i know they will be sending comments that I am wrong about this.yet this is my view and I don't mean all breeder just certain ones.