Liver problems

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

Liver problems

Post by Bean »

Hi all, been busy moving house etc. Little Tilly is nearly 10 months old now and what a happy little girl she is. Until 2 days ago when she was bit subdued in the morning and about midday she lay down with no reaction to us at all! Rushed to the vets she had to stay overnight on a drip. She was dehydrated and had a high liver count?!! She had a scan and nothing untoward was found. Vet thinks she just ate something that didn’t agree with her. She is a dog that likes things in her mouth!!! It’s been awful. Her liver count has come down but not as it should be and we have lots of tablets to administer. Not in our house!!!! Tilly is having none of it. She refuses anything I’ve hidden the tablet in. We have been trying all morning but she eats the food and spits out the tablets. She’s going back to vet in a while as she is scooting and licking her behind so she’s have the glands seen to. It’s awful seeing her like this. But how to give her the tablets??? I’ll let you know how the next visit goes. Fingers crossed.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Liver problems

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sorry to hear your problems with little Tilly, fingers crossed all goes well at the next vet visit. Can you hide it in a treat that you know she loves. A piece of strawberry, banana etc. or if she really won't take it then can you crush it and stir into a little yoghurt.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Poor little Tilly, I hope she improves for the next appointment too. Have you tried squishing the tablets in cheese? Or covering in dog safe peanut butter? Or a little honey or both PB and honey?

My boy Ozzy is the same age almost and he was at the vet about a month ago from eating something he couldn't digest well. He got anti-nausea and liquid anti-reflux meds and he turned around back to normal in 3 days. Wishing her the best!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sorry to hear Tippy isn't well. I give Jasper his supplement tablet encased in minced beef. You can squash round the tablet.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Thank you all for your concern and suggestions. Tilly is a fussy eater and looks meals up and down before she eats them! Very strange! Vets have given us some hepatic food which apparently contains the same as the main tablet. Tilly did eat that last night and also the antibiotic and other little tablet I hid so we were well pleased. Next Wednesday is her follow up blood test so fingers crossed her liver count is normal. Also we’ve been advised to either stick to hepatic food or home cook her meals with just occasional bits of red meat. And not to carry on with the kibble ( which we have been slowly weaning her off). I’ve been looking on line for home cooked recipes for this problem. It seems I’m back to cooking for her just like Beany our last darling. Oh well, they’re worth it aren’t they. Please pray she is going to be well. Sorry, I’m not religious but I still pray in times like this!! Madness.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Joy - I hope that you can get Tilly stabilised soon. You may find the following topic of interest too and there are links within the thread to useful websites regarding diet and supplements for dogs who suffer liver problems:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25377
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

You may also find this website useful :)
http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Fingers and paws crossed here for Tilly.
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Thank you all so much. Crikey I’ve been reading the links, so much info. I think we need to establish if she has liver disease first by the look of it. Unfortunately Tilly took a turn for the worse last night and we rushed her to the vets again. She had been subdued most of the day and had been sitting and sleeping on my lap. She even liked my singing to her as she put her head in my chest and snuggled in. Whilst it was a lovely feeling , it is not like Tilly to be that fussy. It ended with Tilly’s temperature being raised so the vet kept her in again. She’s on a drip again and had a blood test. Liver count is down but not normal yet. White blood cells up. And something called alkaline phos is up? It’s all a mystery and we are heartbroken for her. She’s so fragile at the moment. Think they’re going to do a liver biopsy.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Thinking of you and sending hugs. Hope Tilly does recover soon and that you can get an accurate diagnosis of what is affecting her.

Ralphie
Puppy
First Name: Martyn
Dog #1: Ralphie
Born: 13 Mar 2013

Post by Ralphie »

Really feel for you, any update on Tilly?

My Ralphie was diagnosed with a liver count not being quite right and we have tablets thats he's taking mixed with his food, blood test due again soon, while its nothing like what Tilly has going on it really stresses you out so I can only imagine how you feel.

Really wishing Tilly all the best..
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Once again I’m comforted by all of you. Tilly is back home now and so much better. She is still on liquid antibiotics which I administer in her food but her liver tablet the nurse gives her when we take her in every day. She has had a bile test to see if she has a shunt so we’re waiting for that diagnosis. We are giving her short walks and I’m stretching her meals to 3 a day so it’s easier on her digestive system. We’ve abandoned the kibble as instructed and I’m avidly reading the links to learn about home cooked food for young dogs. I’m concerned I miss nothing out for her development. She’s lost a lot of weight during her illness and now has a defined waist!! I’m desperately trying to get the schnauzer square back back! I’ll let you know when we have the results. Ralphie puppy looks so cute.
Bean
Puppy

Post by Bean »

Tilly’s bile test before and after fast has come back. It’s not normal which is not the news we want! The vet is going to speak to a liver expert and let us know the next steps. Tilly is more like her old self and playing but not quite as madly as before. It’s just a nightmare.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry that you have not had good news and hope the expert can give you some more positive guidance to help Tilly recover to her former self. Thinking of you and sending hugs :ymhug:

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

So sorry to hear of your not so good news. Just by way of giving you a another resource to check out the condition and dietary needs. There are some excellent vets in this list that in conjunction with your own vet could help on diet. It says raw feeding but they also help with lightly cooked fresh diets if they are more suitable. They also do telephone consultations https://rfvs.info/find-a-vet/