Wasp stings!

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Dizzikitty
First Name: Clare
Dog #1: Loki
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Nov 2012

Wasp stings!

Post by Dizzikitty »

This has probably been posted somewhere already but im using my awful ipad that hates me so please forgive me and blame apple corp.

Just now Loki trouble seemed to leap away from the lawn and started being unwilling to use his front paw. Looking up there after i can only assume its a wasp sting as there was a few scattered on the floor being annoying.

Any hints folks? Seems he has been stung. I have checked and there is no stinger and no thorn type bits. Doesnt seem to be much swelling which is good news. I have since added a cold compress (makes me feel better when ive been stung), so not sure what else to do. He is still laying off it 30 mins later.

Hrmmmm looks like i shall have to cancel the groomers today as well, *sigh* typical timng.

Thanks, very worried mini schnau mum.
Dizzi and Loki

Loki: Born 3/11/2012
International Shoe Ninja, Guard dog, and Sock Seeker
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Wasp stings!

Post by zeta1454 »

As long as Loki is not showing any signs of an allergic reaction which will need immediate veterinary attention (doesn't sound like it from what you have said), then you can keep applying cold compresses as you have been. Some people recommend using a paste made with cold water and baking soda but Loki might lick that off so maybe not :D

The homeopathic remedy Apis is ideal for insect stings especially wasps and bees so, if you were able to get a bottle of these tablets they are worth having on hand anyway (good for people who have been stung also :) ) If you do get some try to get the 30c potency and give one little pill every couple of hours until relief is obtained.

Good luck and sending hugs to Loki :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dizzikitty
First Name: Clare
Dog #1: Loki
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Nov 2012

Post by Dizzikitty »

Thank you. Nooo no allergic response, just a sulky puppy for a couple of hours, then he raced up the stairs to sit with the guinea pigs and seems fine, although yes cold compress for the win! Thanks :)

So glad we didnt have to go to the vets.
Dizzi and Loki

Loki: Born 3/11/2012
International Shoe Ninja, Guard dog, and Sock Seeker
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

It is different treatment depending on whether wasp or bee as one is alkali and one acid, so you want to neutralize it.
Wasp treat with vinegar
Bee treat with baking soda/ bicarb paste.
It important to know what type of sting before you treat. If you put the bicarb ( alkali) on wasp sting (alkali) it could aggravate it more.
When Barney got stung a few weeks ago it was around 3 hours after that swelling started and it started bothering him. His was a bee though :)
They can have human piriton antihistamine to help with any reaction
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
maxluath

Post by maxluath »

My mum used to give dogs a drink of milk - do not know why.