Home first aid kit suggestions??

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Lynng
First Name: Lynn
Dog #1: Archie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 18 May 2013
Dog #2: Dylan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2014

Home first aid kit suggestions??

Post by Lynng »

As Archie has a bit of a gunky eye at the moment, it got me thinking as to what I really need to have in at home for those minor problems we encounter. I've just got my Thornit powder for his ears and paws, which has been brilliant, and I've got saline solution and cotton wool pads now for his eye! If anyone has any suggestions as to what would be handy to stock up on I would be very grateful! This is not obviously just for minis, so not sure where this post should go? Also any other suggestions for helping with the eye would be brilliant. He's not suffering with it, not rubbing it etc, and doesn't seem overly bothered, but has woken up last two mornings with a slightly sticky eye (it could well have been the cat caught him, he does tend to get bounced on and will retaliate ultimately!), but before I go to vet I thought I might see if saline etc could help. I understand chamomile tea (to swab not to drink!) is useful? Thanks in advance... :)
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Home first aid kit suggestions??

Post by Dawnspell »

Check out the First Aid section on Board index ;)
viewforum.php?f=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lynng
First Name: Lynn
Dog #1: Archie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 18 May 2013
Dog #2: Dylan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2014

Post by Lynng »

Thanks Alison, I did look, but obviously not hard enough! ... :)
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Do you know we had the weirdest thing lately, Bran has always had a slightly gunky eye especially on one side in particular. As part of his treatment leading up to his recent salmonella diagnosis he had some pro-kolin. After just a couple of days on pro-kolin his eye gunk was basically non existent. An unexpected side-effect?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Strangely a used tea bag is very good for gunky eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Suzi3
Puppy
First Name: Suzi
Dog #1: Murphy
Born: 12 Jun 2011
Dog #2: Ruby
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 27 May 2012
Dog #3: Bella
Born: 28 Sep 2013
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by Suzi3 »

Since doing a canine first aid course I now carry a roll of vetwrap bandage everywhere with me!