Tick!

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
lulalou

Tick!

Post by lulalou »

Hi everyone

Dexter has got a tick, poor baby. It is in his groin, and we do have a tick remover, but wondering if we are better to take him to the vet to sort it. He is going to see the nurse tomorrow lunchtime anyway for a weight check in appointment. I'm just a bit worried about leaving it, as he has been a bit off his food last night and this morning. He can't scratch it, but he is licking it. Instinct is telling me to remove it asap, but just not sure how foolproof the tool is to use! We don't have any doggy specific antiseptic, but do have human antiseptic wipes and sudocream if that's any good to put on afterwards.

Any advice or experience gratefully received!

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Re: Tick!

Post by Caramomo »

Give it a go, the tick twisters are a doddle to use; part any hair away from the tick, slide the twister in around the very base, as close to the skin as possible, twirl it anticlockwise a couple of times and the little blighter will be out in no time.

I have never needed to put antiseptic on the hole afterwards, it often leaves a little bump for a day or two but that's it. It should only get infected if you try to pull the tick out and leave mouth parts behind (I'm guessing you'd have to pull quite firmly to tear the tick out) but I've removed loads no problem with the twister, a couple of twists, a gentle pull to see if he is free, a couple more if not and when he's out dispose of him.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
stanley bear
Puppy
First Name: mel
Dog #1: stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Oct 2011

Post by stanley bear »

Hi, I would remove it , these tick tools are very easy to use just twist as you pull, then at least poor Dexter will stop worrying about it and when he goes to his appointment tomorrow just ask them to check it for you. Good luck .
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

Removed! He didn't even notice :) will mention it to the nurse tomorrow. Thank you!

Using Tapatalk
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Is he ok now, appetite and energy-wise? Have you had your French trip - only asking as in SW France (possibly other areas of France) ticks can transmit a nasty disease that isn't seen in the UK.

Jasmine had it when she was young - it can be fatal if untreated, but thankfully we took her to the vet as she was very lethargic, off her food, clearly very ill, as they see it during tick season locally they knew what it was, tested her there and then with a scrape of her ear under a microscope, gave her the treatment and within 24 hours she was as good as new, like she hadn't really been at deaths door at all. They advised that most dogs, having had it once are immune against it happening again.
Unfortunately, when she was elderly she got it again and it was only by chance on the journey home I found a tick so when we got to the UK and she was lethargic, off her food and very ill again, we connected the symptoms with the tick and it brought back the memory from many years before. Took her to our UK vet, they didnt know about the disease of course, I had to insist they test for it, gave the history, they were excellent as the nurses did immediate research (although the vet, the old man boss who thankfully I never see, but happened to be on that day, tried fobbing me off with painkillers and anti-inflammatories, and telling me he knew best, only I wasn't leaving the surgery, knowing she might not survive 24 hours if it wasn't treated correctly), anyway, long story, but we had to do a 4 hour round trip to go to a vet wholesaler/importer in Somerset for a bottle of the medicine as nowhere in the UK had it, as its never needed in the UK, we got back to the vet, by which time they'd confirmed the diagnosis, gave her the treatment - and all was well! The treatment cost me several hundred pounds even though she only needed a tiny drop for the injection, but I had to buy the whole bottle from the wholesaler :-o

So, a terribly long story, all to say, if Dex is unwell, and you're in France, or recently back, maybe bear this in mind :D Chances are it is just a plain old irritating but harmless tick :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

Hi BeeBee - thanks so much for sharing and sorry to hear about your trials with Jasmine. We got back from France (near to Geneva) on Thursday, and spotted the tick this morning when drying him after a walk. He has been a little off his food the yesterday and this morning, but he has just eaten all his dinner and is running round chasing his rawhide chew. We are at the vets tomorrow for his weigh in so will definitely definitely mention it to the nurse. Do you know the name of the disease?
xxx

Using Tapatalk
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

Actually, could this be it? http://www.frenchentree.com/pets-in-fra ... p?ID=39158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using Tapatalk
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

lulalou wrote:Hi BeeBee - thanks so much for sharing and sorry to hear about your trials with Jasmine. We got back from France (near to Geneva) on Thursday, and spotted the tick this morning when drying him after a walk. He has been a little off his food the yesterday and this morning, but he has just eaten all his dinner and is running round chasing his rawhide chew. We are at the vets tomorrow for his weigh in so will definitely definitely mention it to the nurse. Do you know the name of the disease?
xxx

I wouldn't worry, if he had it, he'd be deteriorating fast rather than being better :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

Thanks BeeBee :)

Using Tapatalk
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

lulalou wrote:Actually, could this be it? http://www.frenchentree.com/pets-in-fra ... p?ID=39158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats it. Nasty thing. We were unlucky Jasmine had it twice, now we use the scalibor collars from April to Oct when in France to try and prevent it.
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

I live in spain and ticks are a big problem,I have tried most things drops,tablets,and scalbor.then out of the blue a friend told me to try a seresto collar.yes cost more than scalbor but it cuts all the costs out for drops etc.this products works better than any other thing I have tried over the years.alfie used to get two or three ticks on him every time we went out and remember that was with drops and scalbor on.since we went onto seresto never had one on him,if you try it you will not use other product.
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

Will bear that in mind for when we go back definitely. Just got back from the vets and she said that there has been a really high number of tick bites this summer, so it could have been from here or France. He has what we thought was a little scratch on his leg, but she thought that was possibly a tick that had been knocked off as well. She suggested sudocrem for the bit on his leg that is sore, and to keep an eye on his groin where the one we removed was. Dexter seems quite happy today, particularly with the opportunity to terrorise the cat that lives next door to the vets!

Using Tapatalk
lulalou

Post by lulalou »

I couldn't resist taking a picture of dexter with his socks on to stop him from licking the sudocrem off. He's such a well behaved little man! The first time he seemed a bit perturbed, but has now got used to them. Bless!Image

Using Tapatalk