Runny eyes

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Runny eyes

Post by Teddy boo boo »

Hi my mum and dad's mini (Rupert) has got runny/watery eyes? Any advice would be gratefully recieved???
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Runny eyes

Post by Maty »

A used, cooled, teabag seems to have miraculous healing properties ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

With our dogs we have also used the homeopathic remedy Euphrasia which is from the herb known as eyebright.

I have the tablets in our homeopathic first aid kit from Helios and crush them to tip into the mouth as well as dissolving one in a small dish of warm water and dip a cotton wool pad into the water to clean around the eyes. This has helped to clear sticky/inflamed eyes within a day for our dogs although none have a chronic problem.

There are a couple of links here that explain a bit more:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... bright/272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Dorwest_Euphras ... ls/c13328/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The suggestion of the tea bag is worth a try though as definitely economical and the tannins in the tea have anti-inflammatory properties which will help if the eyes are sore or inflamed :-bd
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Post by Teddy boo boo »

Hey thanks guys I'll pass on that info - mum and dad will be very grateful :o3 xxx
Donna 9
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Flynn
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 19 Sep 2011
Dog #2: Max
Born: 25 Nov 2012

Post by Donna 9 »

Daft question... How do you suggest using teabags on dog eyes? Flynn has runny and sticky eyes at the moment, I think he'd have a fit if I tried teabags!
Also, where would I buy Euphrasia?
spill50
First Name: Richard
Dog #1: Hugo
Born: 26 May 2014

Post by spill50 »

A quick search on the big Google in the sky, it seems most places that sell homeopathic remedies have it. Here's one

http://www.thehealthbay.com/weleda-euph ... tAodLSIA6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donna 9

Post by Donna 9 »

Ah ok, ta! Feel for Flynn bless him. He's very good at letting me touch his eye area with my fingers, I think he'd object to drops or anything like that (though this has prompted me to try and teach him to accept it)..
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

With the teabags, once they a cooled but not dry just wipe them over the eye. I do it downwards and try to get in the corner of the eye.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Gina

Post by Gina »

Going back to my nursing training (millennia ago) if you are cleaning eyes then it is one wipe from cornea edge sideways out to prevent putting the gunk back in and encouraging infection. You could always turn it over an use the other side so you get 2 goes at it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Donna 9

Post by Donna 9 »

Thanks folks! I've done it 3 times so far, morning and evening over 2 days.. He's been pretty good at letting me, I do wonder if it feels nice for him?! Will let you know how it looks in a few days..
Donna 9

Post by Donna 9 »

Flynn's eyes are looking much now, thanks folks!!