Antihistamine dose

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Antihistamine dose

Post by Dawnspell »

I hope this shows up ok I found it on a website and thought it was use full as it gives the different antihistamines and doses

Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Re: Antihistamine dose

Post by Lou78 »

Oh Dawnspell...you are an angel!!! O:-)

I was speaking to OH earlier about antihistamines if Ollie's itching and irritation continues. I have posted the long saga on the health section! His eyes seem to be clearing up slightly but the itching not so much!

I have loratadine tablets myself 1 a day all year round. Would these be suitable for Ollie? I dont know if dog tablets are different than human tablets!! He is 12kg so would obviously follow the guide.

This post could not have come at a better time for us! Thank you. :ymhug:
schnauday
First Name: Loujou

Post by schnauday »

Lou78 wrote: I have loratadine tablets myself 1 a day all year round. Would these be suitable for Ollie? I dont know if dog tablets are different than human tablets!! He is 12kg so would obviously follow the guide.
I think human tablets are okay. When my little man was stung by wasps, my vet advised us to give him ½ of a human antihistamine (think it was Claritin).

Hope your Ollie gets better soon :)
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks schauday. I buy the generic loratadine (same as claritin...but cheaper!) because I can't take cetirizine (zirtek equivalent). That's good to know though; I could work the dose out accordingly should we need it. He seems tons better even in the last hour or so and the improvement in the last 24hrs is huge. Hope he is over the worst. :ympray:
schnauday
First Name: Loujou

Post by schnauday »

Lou78 wrote:Thanks schauday. I buy the generic loratadine (same as claritin...but cheaper!) because I can't take cetirizine (zirtek equivalent). That's good to know though; I could work the dose out accordingly should we need it. He seems tons better even in the last hour or so and the improvement in the last 24hrs is huge. Hope he is over the worst. :ympray:
You're welcome, I thought my vet was joking when he instructed me to give him human antihistamines at first :)) He made vast improvements after an hour or so of taking it though.

Fingers crossed he'll be back to his usual self soon :ympray:
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes human antihistamine fine. Just check your loratadine are 10mg tablets. I buy boots own way cheaper than brand names.

The Chlor-tripolon is also better known as Piriton. It may say active ingredient is chlorphenamine maleate rather than chlorpheniramine its the same thing just an up dated spelling.

Hope it helps for Ollie if you need it :-bd
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks. I don't keep piriton in as they make me very drowsy too as do cetirizine. Will check the tablet size. Thanks again. X