solid vomit

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
dawnr
Puppy
First Name: dawn

solid vomit

Post by dawnr »

Ok so my dog seemed fine last night but woke up earlier than usual and began to scratch and whine to go out. He has pooed in his crate which is VERY unusual but it looked normal. He passed some runny poo then came back in. He seemed ok in himself. About an hour later he vomited up a solid kind of sausage. Like a poo but lighter in colour. He hasn't eaten anything since last night. He seems a bit tired but up for a game when I talk to him. Any ideas?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: solid vomit

Post by zeta1454 »

Dogs by their nature will eat all sorts of things we regard as pretty disgusting and because of this they are "pre-programmed" to get rid of anything that might cause a problem very promptly. So,of itself, the unusual pooing and the vomiting (if it is not repeated) may not be anything to worry about.

Have you withheld food or is he just not interested in eating this morning?

If he seems fine and there is no more runny poo or sickness, in all likelihood he has just eaten something he shouldn't and has now got it out of his system but if either continue, he becomes very lethargic or anything at all that worries you about his behaviour, check with the vet as all kinds of illnesses can have these type of symptoms as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
dawnr
Puppy

Post by dawnr »

I took him to the vet just to check and she said it's a fur ball but not his fur! She thinks he had eaten a cat's fur ball from somewhere!! Very weird. Anyway he's ok now and I have given him pro colin just in case. Thanks !
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Glad he's OK :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
dawnr
Puppy

Post by dawnr »

he seems ok but pooed in his crate again last night. Again solid and normal. Poor boy had tried to aim it out through the bars :-( He has never messed in the house before - why is this happening? He had runny poo again this morning but I had already fed him as I thought he was ok.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

This actually happened to my pup when she was younger..I have a st poodle,who I clip weekly...my little schnauzer pup used to sit under the grooming table ,often falling asleep...I thought this was cute and was happy to get on with my groom.
One day she vomited the most peculiar ,grey ,spiked object....it was a hairball from my grey st poodles clip.....id not realized she's been swallowing his hair as it fell to the floor...
From this time on ,I supervise more carefully and hoover away the hair as it falls..,
Now she is adult she doesn't swallow rubbish,but for sure,like you I was astounded and puzzled as to why my pup would feel the need to swallow hair in this way.
So for now,supervise carefully,and like all things " this too shall pass" ,in all senses.

Re runny poo...give him a probiotic, and also zantak( ranitidine,) and his irritated gut lining should recover...live yogurt should also help...lhis gut is irritated,not infected so should recover in a couple of days with a light diet.