Millie keeps on being sick at around 3am????

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
MAMF
First Name: Lee
Dog #1: Millie
Born: 30 Jan 2010

Millie keeps on being sick at around 3am????

Post by MAMF »

She is OK through the day but for some reason through the night she just sicks up 3 maybe 4 lots of bile sick.

This has been happening for 3-4 days, we are away from home so maybe will take a trip to the vet on our return on Sunday.

Thoughts please.

Lee.

http://millster.weebly.com

Millie's own photographic website, with photo's from a few weeks old to present.
Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi
Puppy
First Name: Linda

Re: Millie keeps on being sick at around 3am????

Post by Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi »

I have 2 Mini Schnauzers and a Giant. I find that if the older Mini and Giant go without food for a for a longer length of time, come the morning they will be sick and it's always bile. What time do you feed your Schnauzer its last meal?
Possibly require a visit to the Vets, for some advice.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

My last two poodle girls also used to bring up bile in the night( also around 3 am as I recall ) or early morning if they had an empty stomach...we resolved this with an evening bonio biscuit .( plain dog biscuit)
With a mini schnauzer I would be sure to take into account their tendency to gain weight and include these extra calories in your estimate of the dogs daily calories.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Echo everything said above. This was a problem we used to have with Ollie when we fed his last meal earlier. We now feed him his evening meal about 6.30pm and then a biscuit an hour or so before bed. Touch wood, resolved the problem. Hope it is no more than that with your girl.
Pumpkin
First Name: Tracey
Dog #1: Charlie
Born: 02 Jul 2012
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 14 Jun 2013

Post by Pumpkin »

We had exactly the same thing with Lily and by the morning she obviously felt so sick she didn't want to eat and then it just self propelled! We went back to puppy days for a little while and split her dinner in two giving one at 6ish the one about 9-10pm and then a biscuit directly before bed. This helped a lot but we still had the odd sicky day so we went to our vet and he said it could be a leaky bile duct. He gave us two lots of medication for her one was lozansaprol (or something like that it was a while ago now!) which helped settle her tummy lining down and then an anti-sickness tablet to give if she was refusing to eat due to feeling sick.
We carried on with that for a few months, gradually took her off the medication after discussing with our vet and she was ok. Zantac can also help with the acid but just a quarter of a tablet.

As it's only at one time in the day and during the night it must be linked to her tummy being empty and sounds so similar to Lil. Defo a trip to the vets but splitting dinner may help in the meantime.

Hope she's on the mend soon.
MAMF
First Name: Lee
Dog #1: Millie
Born: 30 Jan 2010

Post by MAMF »

She was OK last night - she has her tea around 5pm I will give her a treat before bed and keep an eye on things.

http://millster.weebly.com

Millie's own photographic website, with photo's from a few weeks old to present.
Ralphie
Puppy
First Name: Martyn
Dog #1: Ralphie
Born: 13 Mar 2013

Post by Ralphie »

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the same symptoms my Ralphie has started to have, between 3.00am and 5.00am he gets up and is sick, quite often its just bile with bits of grass if he's ate some on a walk that day.

He's recently been put on liver supplement tablets and a gum gel, this started a few days after we started this medication, we stopped the medication 2 days ago to see if this is the cause, same happened last night but I imagine it may take a few days for his system to clear.

He often has a treat before bed time so the empty stomach may not be the cause??

Any thoughts most welcome..
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I would be thinking it was the tablets if nothing else has changed. Is this something the vet recommended? Can you change the time of day for the medication of give with some yoghurt if you have to give before bed. You could also talk to the vet to see if there was a different supplement that might suit him better. I know Milk Thistle is a good liver support if Ralphie is having problems with his enzyme levels.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It does sound as though it may be the tablets or gel if this only started when you gave Ralphie these. Are there alternatives for his liver issue?

I don’t know whether it would be worth trying him with some bone broth? I am thinking of starting this with one of our elderly dogs to help support his joints but noticed that it mentions helping the liver too. No experience with using it yet but there is a link here to a pre-made bone broth although you can make your own. There is a lot of information online about this and I think some Forum members have used it for their dogs so may be able to give more detail.

https://www.boilandbroth.com/5-benefits ... -for-dogs/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Ralphie
Puppy
First Name: Martyn
Dog #1: Ralphie
Born: 13 Mar 2013

Post by Ralphie »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 04 May 2021, 10:21 I would be thinking it was the tablets if nothing else has changed. Is this something the vet recommended? Can you change the time of day for the medication of give with some yoghurt if you have to give before bed. You could also talk to the vet to see if there was a different supplement that might suit him better. I know Milk Thistle is a good liver support if Ralphie is having problems with his enzyme levels.
zeta1454 wrote: 04 May 2021, 11:16 It does sound as though it may be the tablets or gel if this only started when you gave Ralphie these. Are there alternatives for his liver issue?

I don’t know whether it would be worth trying him with some bone broth? I am thinking of starting this with one of our elderly dogs to help support his joints but noticed that it mentions helping the liver too. No experience with using it yet but there is a link here to a pre-made bone broth although you can make your own. There is a lot of information online about this and I think some Forum members have used it for their dogs so may be able to give more detail.

https://www.boilandbroth.com/5-benefits ... -for-dogs/
Thank you for the detailed replies, I will say Ralphie is eating a lot more, we gave him his evening food a bit later last night and added a bit more, thought we had it sorted as he wasn't sick in the night but was this morning about 8.45am, while again there wasn't much there was some grass and a piece of white flat rubber the size of a 10p?

I'm hoping this is the cause but called the vet regarding the tablets so waiting on a reply, will keep you updated and thank you for the replies once again..