Loss of appetite following spaying

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Meggy1
First Name: Nicky

Loss of appetite following spaying

Post by Meggy1 »

Hi - our 8 month old miniature schnauzer was spayed on Wednesday and still barely eating, in other members experience is this normal, she is fussy at the best of times!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Loss of appetite following spaying

Post by zeta1454 »

The spay operation is quite a major surgery and there will be pain and the after effects of both surgery and the anaesthetic for her to contend with. Although we have not experienced any of our miniature schnauzers going off their food after a spay, dogs are individual and, if your girl has been fussy in the past this could explain it.

Post-operation it is best to offer very light food - cooked chicken or fish for example and, if you have not tried this, I would offer her small meals of this kind of food until she has been to the vets for her post-op check up.

I would not worry too much if she is still a bit down and not eating / behaving normally given such a major operation but, if you are really concerned, I would ring the vets and have a chat with a vet who may be able to reassure you or advise bringing her back earlier for the post-operative check-up.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Loss of appetite following spaying

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi,sorry to hear she's feeling poorly...I suggest hills a/ d canned food at this stage for the convalescent dog...its been specifically designed as a puree,easily eaten,high calorie food for situations such as this...
My immune deficient poodle girl was often anorexic and we used to put this food directly into her mouth to ensure she didn't drop weight ...
By now I hope your girl has picked up on her appetite..once she's eating again,id offer boiled meat,soaked kibble etc..whatever she will eat when she regains he old appetite back..
I'd also keep an eye on her stitches...we used to dust the wound with gold bond antiseptic talc,which reduced itching.l kept the wound dry and stopped any licking by putting the dog in a baby gro.this way you avoid the e collar.