Irritable Bowel

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Gary DiGiovanni
First Name: Gary

Irritable Bowel

Post by Gary DiGiovanni »

We have an 11 year old standard Schnauzer, Max, who has recently been vomiting and losing weigh0 he was 52 lbs and was 42 when we took him to the hospitalt. The Saturday after Thanksgiving he had wet himself overnight and was in pain and shivering. We took him to the emergency Vet hospital were he stayed three nights and 4 days. They originally found blood in his feces and a distended abdomen with blood in it. He had 2 ultrasounds and an endoscopy with tissue samples. They found no cancer but diagnosed him with a form of irritable bowel disease. He is curently on prednisone 10 mg once a day , Metramidazole 2x/day, Metaclopramide 1/2 tab 30 minutes before eating and a Sucralfate slurry 1 hour after eating and Pepcid 1 in morning and 1 with evening meal we are feeding him 4 x's a day. He is doing well ….eating well, not vomiting, no blood in poop and his stools seem normal. We are feeding him a mix of Blue Buffalo Basics dry puppy kibble, simple diet for dogs with food sensitivities, shredded cooked chicken and mixture of brown and white rice. We are starting to increase the percent of dry dog food and decrease the chicken and rice.
Our concern is when we start to taper his meds down, we are afraid he may lie back in health, although there are no signs of that now , he’s doing very well.
Does anyone have experience with this with their Standard Schnauzers with this?
What have you used to feed them when they have “sensitive stomachs”?
Any recommendations ?
Thanks for listening
He has otherwise been health up until recently he has walked a few miles a day and longer hikes on the weekends

Gary and Sharyl DiGiovanni
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Irritable Bowel

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi, sorry to hear Max has been poorly. I can only comment using my mini's sensitive tummy. He suffered from colitis for many years and the key was finding the right diet. Oscar ended up on Royal Canin Gastro wet food. We could give him no treats whatsoever as he struggled to digest anything else. Symptoms of his colitis were poos covered in mucus. If I continued to feed him then there would be blood in poop leading eventually to haemoraging gastro enteritis and a very poorly dog. I learnt how to, manage his diet, look for the first signs, know when to miss a meal and let his stomach rest. I hope you find a diet that means you can manage the symptoms and come off the meds. Good luck.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Forgot to add. I also put him on 4 meals a day as smaller meals were much easier for him to digest.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

My IBD poodle girl was on medrol,alternate days,8 mg for 22kg dog ,for many years..
We kept ranitidine ,injectable ,in house for her flare ups...tablet form would be vomited ..
Enterogermina,a probiotic was given twice a week..really helped..
Flagyl,was also given..500 mg dAily,for many years...
This dog was intolerant of her own gut bacteria(proteus) ..and without the flagyl,the IBD was daily,and the bacteria would travel through the damaged gut lining to the skin,where they caused ulceration...hence the long term use of these meds..
Your dog is on similar meds,and if you find the pred he is on causes excessive weeing,ask your vet about medrol,as we found it better tolerated and did not cause excessive thirst/ urination etc..