Color change?

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Kahanar
First Name: Eric
Dog #1: Ben
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 09 Oct 2018

Color change?

Post by Kahanar »

Hi community. Does Miniature Schnauzer can change the color? I adopted a black and silver puppy and I noticed that it only has silver coloration on its legs. I'm wondering if the silver coloration will grow more on other parts of its body once it gets a little older. I appreciate it if someone can give their input on this. Thanks.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Color change?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Eric,
A black and silver miniature schnauzer has silver colouring on chest, beard, eyebrows and leg furnishings so not sure if your puppy does not have these? The colour will develop as the puppy matures but there should be some showing on the relevant areas already. This is a photo of a young black and silver puppy where you can see where the silver areas are developing:

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
beachgirl137
First Name: Genevieve

Post by beachgirl137 »

My salt and pepper mini started out black and silver. But I knew what to expect. Puppies do change as they grow. I believe a true black and silver should remain black and silver just as the photo above shows.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I know for Black mini schnauzers, markings on the paw tips and chest are permitted. Maybe your puppy is actually Black?

How old is your pup? The silver markings get brighter as the pup matures, they are born with copper tones. Some B/S are born bright, some describe these as phantom B/S, but genetically they are the exact same as the ones that are born with copper markings.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 23:01 Some B/S are born bright, some describe these as phantom B/S, but genetically they are the exact same as the ones that are born with copper markings.
Yes I've seen that as a sales gimmick on some US breeder websites.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"