Swollen, red toe/paw

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Swollen, red toe/paw

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto has a problem with his paw/toe. I noticed a few days ago and it started with redness in-between two toes back foot. This is what I have done so far, soaked in warm salt water, sprayed leucillon liberally and then finished with yuderm cream. I can press all over the paw and toes and he doesn't flinch, his walking seems fine, he doesn't want to lick it although he does have a sniff (perhaps not surprising with what I have put on it). The inside of one toe looks and feels bigger than the other foot so I think slightly swollen, there are some very small pimple type lumps right in-between the toes, looks very sore but doesn't seem to be. I don't think he has a foreign object embedded but am going to try a mag sulphate compress tonight as it may be a seed but do they hurt/itch he hasn't really tried to lick the area. He has had some harvest mites and I do remember scraping one away a week or so ago but can't remember which foot, maybe the bite area is infected, I have googled interdigital furnacle and that sounds similar. Last night before bed it was very red, with the bathing before bed and sock this morning looked nice and pink but still larger than the other toe - hoping that maybe it's on the mend. Anyone any other suggestions please. It will be a vet trip if it starts to look worse but happy to play nurse for the moment.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345

Re: Swollen, red toe/paw

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Photo... he is a good patient..
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Julie - sorry to read about Otto’s swollen paw. It sounds as though what you are doing has been helping it to heal and it may be just a case of monitoring it until he is fully recovered. Without a diagnosis from a vet, I don’t think there is probably much more that you could do for Otto at home. Having looked at the interdigital furuncle information online it sounds as though it would be painful and some of the other paw related issues also describe symptoms that are really irritating or painful to the dog so, if Otto is not showing any sign of this I would not think it can be a serious issue (paws and fingers crossed!)

The compress is a good idea though in case it has been due to a grass seed. Homeopathic ‘Silica’ is also useful for drawing out splinters as well as toxins after infection.

Hope things improve by tomorrow and a vet visit is not needed but do let us know how Otto gets on :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Leigh. Will try the compress over night and see what happens. Never used one before.