Cleaning vulva HELP!

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Puppymum
Puppy
First Name: Michelle

Cleaning vulva HELP!

Post by Puppymum »

My dog has in inverted vulva and she has dermatitis round it and it is infected, we’ve seen the vet got antibiotics, steroids and been instructed to clean the area daily with hibiscrub, she will not let me near her rear end with anything never mind cotton wool and hibiscrub. How can I do this any ideas Or tips I’m desperate for some inspiration so I can get her better.
Would sitting her in a shallow bath with the hibiscrub so her rear end was soaked in it be ok ?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Cleaning vulva HELP!

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Michelle - sorry to hear that your dog is suffering from this infection.

I would check with the vet re whether sitting in a shallow bath with diluted hibiscrub would be OK although it sounds as though this might be the best solution if she is really anxious about being touched at her rear end, which is understandable as she is probably in a lot of pain there.

Do be careful that she does not lick the hibiscrub though as I think it can cause issues if swallowed.

There is a gentle anti-bacterial liquid that can be used for dogs for skin infections and comes in a spray bottle so easier to apply perhaps? It is called Leucillin and is quite safe if licked by a pet:

https://www.leucillin.co.uk/about-leuci ... ans(en|en)

I would suggest maybe giving your little one a pre/probiotic which will help boost the good bacteria in her system if she is on antibiotics. A product such as Yudigest (which is a tablet that can be crushed and added to food:

https://yumove.co.uk/collections/yudige ... -kQAvD_BwE

I do hope that she recovers very soon.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/