Looking for a Schnauzer to offer a forever home to

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
What Ivy did next
Puppy
First Name: Beverley
Dog #1: Ivy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Rocky
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2011

Re: Looking for a Schnauzer to offer a forever home to

Post by What Ivy did next »

Got an email last night re Zak. We passed our home check but they had so much interest in him and he went to another family. The Blue Cross had a Schnauzer at the weekend as well and I emailed an enquiry and drive a five hour round trip on Sunday morning to see if I could have a chance at rehoming him. Same story - lots of interest. Over 30 enquiries overnight and they work on a first come first suitable basis so I missed out there too :( if anyone else has any leads please let me know. I'm wavering a bit and thinking about a puppy.
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Ah, what a shame. Zak looked a lovely boy and it must be very disheartening to miss out more than once. On the positive side for the dogs, good to know they are being re homed, but disappointing for you when you know you're ready to welcome another into the fold. I'm a big supporter of re-homing / rescuing having got most of mine via that route. However, I was not looking for a specific breed and it was pure chance we came upon Duke & Alfie. I wish you lots of luck in finding your next addition, whether it is a pup or an older dog. Let us know what happens :ymhug: :-bd
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
What Ivy did next
Puppy

Yes- we have decided against a puppy. Trying to broaden my horizon and look at other breeds. I'm sure they'll still be welcome on the annual walk ;)
jannie
Puppy
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Barney
Born: 27 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Bella
Born: 0- 0-2012

Post by jannie »

Many Tears Animal Rescue have a beautiful 2 year old schnauzer called Betty looking for a home. She is with a fosterer in Hurst Berkshire.
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Yes what about Betty? She will need a resident dog which you have. I think she is a scared dog but if you are up for a challenge it will be worth it!
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Think its a male dog that's preferred. You'd have a lot of support from Betty's fosterer though if you did decide to go this route, she's with Donna, great friend and key volunteer at DBARC :)

However, broadening out to other breeds is also a great idea to adopt rather than puppy buy :) (yep, I'll go wash my mouth out :) )
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Arbormalc
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 01 Mar 2006
Dog #2: Ziva
Born: 06 Jun 2009
Dog #3: Pippa
Born: 05 Dec 2012

Post by Arbormalc »

I know a woman in the next village who has a Mini and a Wire Haired Fox Terrier - they make a lovely couple and the FT has the quirkiest quirk!! She has to walk on the kerbstones, she hates walking on the actual path and returns to the kerb every chance she's allowed. OCD!! We also have a woman in the village here with a Mini and a Westie. Welsh Terriers are cute as well, but quite rare to rescue. There are usually WFT's though -we thought about that route, but......... Just saying.........
Owned by - 3x Mini's (all rescues). Oscar 8 and Ziva 5 and Pippa 18mths. and our gorgeous new rescue 14mth old Tanya - our very first Giant!!!
What Ivy did next
Puppy

I see Betty's little face at least twice a day because I check the MTAR regularly. I'm looking for a male schnauzer because I have read that the best match is boy/girl and girl/girl matches can be unsuccessful. I know my Ivy and I know that she will accept a male and possibly not a female. She has many doggy friends and it's really strange to see the way she reacts when we pet the females as opposed to the males. She will try and get in between us when it's a female we are paying attention to and when it's a male she barely takes any notice. These poor little pooches have been through enough and when we rehome a dog we want to do everything we can to make it go well and that includes the research leading up.

Yes Westies are on my list of possibles, along with bichons. I'll keep looking.

Thank you for trying to help.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Have you spoken to the breed club rehoming officers? They usually know of any schnauzers in need of a loving home ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
What Ivy did next
Puppy

Yes I have contacted the Schnauzer club and the Kennel club. I'm trawling all the rehome sites on a thrice daily basis (don't tell the boss!) :-s
Arbormalc
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 01 Mar 2006
Dog #2: Ziva
Born: 06 Jun 2009
Dog #3: Pippa
Born: 05 Dec 2012

Post by Arbormalc »

I'm sure you're dog is out there, just waiting for you to be paired up.

While we are having issues with Pippa's reaction to Tanya's arrival - which is part a bitch thing and part a size thing - Ziva our older bitch had no problem with Pippa and vice versa. To be honest I expected a reaction maybe from Ziva having a new bitch arrive and maybe from Pippa who had been an 'only child'.

Whatever you decide on i'm sure that with the right you and they will have a long and happy time together. Good luck and remember the pic's, of course.
Owned by - 3x Mini's (all rescues). Oscar 8 and Ziva 5 and Pippa 18mths. and our gorgeous new rescue 14mth old Tanya - our very first Giant!!!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

How about the Northern Schnauzer Club and the Schnauzer Club GB? The dogs they deal with rarely get as far as rescue centres ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

With breeding bitches, especially those from confined and awful environments, research supports what I and others I know live with, there is little, if any of the typical bitch-bitch issues that can occur in households with "normal" dogs. They have very low levels of inter-dog aggression. Its not in their interests to get into scraps when their life is about survival. Renae does exactly what you describe with other dogs, although Ive not noticed a gender difference.....her confident nature has been excellent for her sisters :) With Betty, she's a scaredy girl, she'd be no challenge to Ivy :) but she would have her issues :)

I do have a friend with 3 cocker bitches, one is a bossy older sister, lot more so than Renae. My friend recently wanted to adopt a breeding bitch, it went badly, her 3 didn't tolerate the new girl who was very timid, and the trial failed sadly - but it had all been done as a trial with the fosterer happy to take her back should it not work.

Keep looking, am sure the right one will find you :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
Jules

Post by Jules »

There is a 10 year old male mini on Blue cross rescue site needing a new home :o3
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

Jules wrote:There is a 10 year old male mini on Blue cross rescue site needing a new home :o3
Well spotted, here's the link, he looks great, but so sad at that age to find himself needing a new home.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2566-132861 ... =&uf_Sex=&