Meet Bertie!

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Essjay
Puppy
First Name: SJ

Meet Bertie!

Post by Essjay »

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of re homing this wee guy Bertie the 9 month old standard schnauzer! I thought I better post some pics and introduce him!!ImageImage Image
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Re: Meet Bertie!

Post by rich 40 »

Nice boy !
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

rich 40 wrote:Nice boy !
Thanks he's fantastic it really was love at first sight! :D
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Post by rich 40 »

Where did you find him ? On the exercise front you could probably give him a little less but if he's happy to do it it won't harm him I wouldn't think I'd just up his food a little if he's very active I have minis so different dog s really
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

rich 40 wrote:Where did you find him ? On the exercise front you could probably give him a little less but if he's happy to do it it won't harm him I wouldn't think I'd just up his food a little if he's very active I have minis so different dog s really
His family had issues between him and one of their other dogs so they needed to rehome him
and contacted his breeder. I know the couple who have his brother and they knew I was
looking for a standard puppy. We were intending to leave it until we moved house in a few
months as we're currently in a flat but when we got the phone call about Bertie needing
a home urgently we decided it was worth taking a chance and finding a way to make it
work!

When it comes to exercise he's like the Duracell bunny he'd never stop if he had the
chance! Even after the exercise he gets he still runs around the living room looking
to play and grabs his lead and follows me to the door if I nip out to the shop without
him. I'm just worried I let him over do it :)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

He looks a very nice dog...id love to have a go with his coat,it looks like it would strip well!
I'd give some obedience training and you will see he seems very satisfied compared to just long walks.
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

Robin black mini wrote:He looks a very nice dog...id love to have a go with his coat,it looks like it would strip well!
I'd give some obedience training and you will see he seems very satisfied compared to just long walks.
Thanks! I usually stop and do some training and some playtime while we're out for our walks so he
get's some variety rather than just walking around! He has the attention span of a goldfish
so you're lucky to keep him focused for more than 15 mins!

He's been hand stripped until now but I'm struggling to find someone here who does it! I'm
clueless and most off the groomers have said to clip him while the one who was willing
to hand strip him said it would take 5 hours and cost £70 so I'm trying to decide what to
do next as he is starting to look a bit scruffy!!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Gorgeous boy :x Well done for re-homing him.

If you don't want a show coat stripping yourself is relatively easy - I learnt with help and guidance from others.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Mouse1
Puppy
First Name: Camilla
Dog #1: Archie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2013
Dog #2: Isla (rescue)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Dog #3: Mabel (rescue)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by Mouse1 »

He looks adorable - well done for taking him and I'm sure he'll reward your hard work with training etc. He has a gorgeous face.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

If you buy a coarse stripping knife ,you will get a lot of "how to" help in grooming section....it's the first step....later you will have to buy a set of clippers for the cheeks,the sanitary areas and underpads,and some scissors for the furnishings ....but you will be saving a lot on pro grooming and have a great bond with your dog if you persist.
see you in grooming , perhaps??..