rehoming from kennel to house

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
swtimtam
First Name: Sue

rehoming from kennel to house

Post by swtimtam »

Hi all
This is my first time posting because this is the first time in 30 years I have had a dog. We are bringing home a lovely male schnauzer who was part of a breeding program. His owner decided to get out of the business and moved away from the breeding farm 2 months ago. She was really his only "person". Her son has been feeding him since then and the dog has developed a bit of attachment to him but now he will be transitioning to our family. So poor guy has really been through the wringer in terms of losing his people.
He has always lived in a outdoor kennel and usually had other dogs in the same space (large fenced area with shed) but he will now be living inside in our home with no other dogs. Any advice on this kind of transition? Has anyone else been through something like this? I'd love to hear how things went.
Thanks!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: rehoming from kennel to house

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Sue and welcome to the Forum :-)

I have no experience of such a traumatic rehoming situation but there are some Forum members who have rehomed former puppy farm dogs and may be able to give you some specific advice.

It is very possible that this is going to be a long term, slow transition with an adult dog and will need huge amounts of patience on your part as he adjusts to a home life. Some things such as house training may be an issue, fear of household noises and even the confines of the home. Anxiety and other mental / emotional issues are also likely due to his disruptive past.

Look forward to hearing how things progress and hope that you can get some advice from others on the Forum who have experience of ex-breeding dogs. If you have not come across this book before it also may be of interest to you (I am guessing you are in the US?) It is a book re a puppy farm survivor in the UK but sure to have some useful insight. (If you are in the UK the book is readily available here too :-). )

https://www.amazon.com/Saving-Susie-Bel ... 394&sr=8-1
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
redalert
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Welcome to the forum and wishing you the best of luck in helping your boy adjust to a normal "dogs" life, once he has settled I am sure he will appreciate the home comforts that await him. As Leigh said, it will be lovely to hear how he progresses.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sue, what a lovely thing to do. On the positive side, Otto's breeder told me that in a very short time, kennel dogs realise what a wonderful new environment they have being in the home rather than a kennel. Her words "they suddenly think hey this is quite nice". If you go on to Champdogs website and the forum you can post the very same question and there are lots of breeders on the site that although not in an identical situation, have brought kennel dogs indoors to be pets. They are really helpful particularly to people taking in adult dogs. One thought I do have is that you will have to be very careful with dogs in season and smells etc. with a dog used for breeding. Other than that I really do wish you the best of luck and a smooth transition, what a lucky boy who finally has a home he can thrive in.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
swtimtam

Post by swtimtam »

We brought him home today and although we started the trip with him in a crate, he spent most of the 3 hour ride snuggled up on my daughters lap. I think he has found his new person already.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That's lovely.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Brilliant, that sounds really good.

Would be great to see some pictures when everything has settled down a little :)
Lindalex2
Puppy
First Name: Linda

Post by Lindalex2 »

Hi- what a lovely update, sounds like he’s comfy with you all, how’s he settling in? Such an exciting time learning about one another whilst he transitions to a homebody.

Wondering how many photos you’ve taken over the weekend 😁🥰
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Welcome& to the forum, I wish you good luck also I really admire you taking on your boy, do hope it all goes well for you. I'm so glad that he has found his forever home.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

zeta1454 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 07:01 If you have not come across this book before it also may be of interest to you (I am guessing you are in the US?) It is a book re a puppy farm survivor in the UK but sure to have some useful insight. (If you are in the UK the book is readily available here too :-). )

Thanks for recommending the book Leigh. I wonder how this one is getting along?
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

BeeBee wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:44
zeta1454 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 07:01 If you have not come across this book before it also may be of interest to you (I am guessing you are in the US?) It is a book re a puppy farm survivor in the UK but sure to have some useful insight. (If you are in the UK the book is readily available here too :-). )

I wasn't sure if you were still actively following the Forum so thought your book would be the next best thing to you advising her direct :)
It is often hard to assess some situations from the limited information posted but hopefully all is going well. I was a bit worried that the OP had not had a dog for 30 years and maybe would not recognise potential post-trauma behaviour in this rescue but fingers crossed it has worked out for the little one.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

zeta1454 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 16:12
BeeBee wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:44

I wasn't sure if you were still actively following the Forum so thought your book would be the next best thing to you advising her direct :)
I have had a break, much longer than expected, time flies and all that, but hopefully back a bit more regularly now. Yes agree, the trauma can run very deep in these dogs and not be obvious either and then surface, which can shock owners. I think all dogs are much more complex than most humans realise, then add this kind of trauma and it is a miracle badly kept breeding dogs ever manage to adapt to regular lives. Yet more evidence of dogs' wonder in my view.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/