GS Ownership

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

GS Ownership

Post by wazzockmum »

Came across this and though what a well thought out article....

probably sums up how we all feel on here - that in actual fact WE are owned by our schnauzers!

http://www.blackangeldogs.com/dont.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Re: GS Ownership

Post by BBG »

We're all mad!

I had to laugh at the comparison of a well groomed Giant to a teenagers prom night. They don't look like that all the time! Mines been in a stinky pond, got covered in burrs and rolled in horse poo today!

The dog, not the teenager [hippo]
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

What a fantastic article, a proper picture of a Giant ownership.
I don't think my Giants own me though. I think I'm very blessed to be able to share my life with them. To me there's nothing more magnificent than fully grown, perfectly toned, correct, solid type, well groomed Giant male (kiss) Like Erik will be one day (cool)

Mods could you make this a sticky. It's really good reading for anybody thinking of getting a Giant.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

It's a sticky.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Have to say the more I see giants the more impressed I am with them. Caths today in Dorset were once again utterly fantastic, the OH loves them too (mind you, the house here is too tiny for anything bigger than a little pack of minis)!
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Thanks Graham (bigthumbs)
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

Post by wazzockmum »

riiseni wrote:there's nothing more magnificent than fully grown, perfectly toned, correct, solid type, well groomed Giant male .
oooh for a minute there I thought you meant your OH - and looking at mine I started getting jealous!
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

It's a fab article, deffo a must read for one thinking of taking on a Giant. Will let my 8 year old son read it, so he can see that there IS a significant difference between minis & giants not just in size (he's adamant we NEED one (even tho he's yet to meet 1, LOL!)).....
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

wazzockmum wrote:
riiseni wrote:there's nothing more magnificent than fully grown, perfectly toned, correct, solid type, well groomed Giant male .
oooh for a minute there I thought you meant your OH - and looking at mine I started getting jealous!
:)) Well he is fully grown, solid type and well groomed, but not sure about the perfectly toned bit..
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
maxluath

Post by maxluath »

it is true isn't it we have to spend twenty four hours a day with these lovely dogs.
SnailPorridge
Puppy
First Name: Margherita
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 2012

Post by SnailPorridge »

Dear all,
I own a standard, and after relocating to the country, meeting a few people with giants we have decided to get one, but I need is a realistic view from owners of how giants are around children (have a 4.5 year old, looking to have another). My house and gardens are basically the village playground so before I ambark on a giant adventure how are they with children, would I have to separate than when little noise high drive 5 year old boys are playing football in the garden? My standard Lottie is very boisterous and will try to get involved but soon decides to just watch from a distance (she is going for 6). Any advice welcomed! Thank you
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

I can't answer with any authoirty as we don't have children.

However, our first Giant Schnauzer Pepper Salt absolutely loved children. When she was a puppy I had to keep her away from them - she loved them at first go. Sharp claws are destructive and I had to keep a distanz from small children.
A Giant Schnauzer would maybe a suitable 2nd dog. The Standard Schnauzer is the original Schnauzer and as such, is noted as the most difficult to handle.
The GS needs not only physical exercise but mental exercise otherwise the dog will be like an elephant in a porcelain shop!!
The Giant Schnauzer, male or female, matures VERY slowly. They are as daft as daft can be until they are about 4 years' old. Haven't got there yet with Enya.
They are great dogs but need lots of mental exercise to keep them on an even keel.

All dogs have great noses, but the Schnauzers are A1 in tracking and searching for articles.

Please, please, do ask questions.