Giant Schnauzer Growth

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
OnTheHoof
First Name: Simon

Giant Schnauzer Growth

Post by OnTheHoof »

My wife and I recently bought a new Giant into our life. His name is Otto, which we thought sounded nice and original until we discovered that there are a number of people of this forum with a dog called Otto.

Our boy was born on 20 March 2016. Since he was born I have been curious to see how quickly he grows. I would be very interested to see what other people on the forum have experienced regarding growth too.

We've had two Giant's previously. A Black GS called Stanley who was around 32-35kgs at 1yr to 15 months. A P&S male who was 41/42Kgs from 1yr to his death at 9 yrs.

Otto at:

8 weeks - 5kgs - 12"/32cm tall
10 weeks - 8.1kgs -
11 weeks - 10kgs and 17" tall
13 weeks - 12kgs and 18 tall
15 weeks - 15kgs and " tall
18 weeks - 17kgs
20 weeks - 19.4kgs
21 weeks - 20.5
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Giant Schnauzer Growth

Post by Robin black mini »

I've had two giant breeds..dogue de Bordeaux and Rottweiler...my advice would be to switch to adult food at five months..which is about now for Otto,to keep the growth rate slow and steady.
With a large breed pup your mantra is slooooooow and steady ...your pups joints will love you later down the line.
Your boy will get where he is going by two years..in the meantime the reduction of high protein( found in puppy food) will be a huge asset to his healthy joints.
I LOVE the name Otto...recently met a Lagotto called Otto ...made me smile
And where are the pics of your lovely lad?????
OnTheHoof
First Name: Simon

Post by OnTheHoof »

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried to upload photos but they seem to fail. Theyre only J-pegs so I'm a bit surprised. I'll try again later.

:)
shipwreck1964
First Name: Steve
Dog #1: Otto
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 15 Apr 2015

Post by shipwreck1964 »

Our Giant is also called Otto. He is coming up to 17 months of age. He currently stands at 28" at the shoulder and weighs in at approx 41KG. He has been on a raw diet right from when we got him and his weight gain has been slow and steady. He is turning in to a well mannered young dog but there is still a long way to go.
Matt1287
First Name: Matt

Post by Matt1287 »

Hi,

My GS is raw fed and she is almost 5 months old. She is only about 13KG. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what their dogs weighed around this age and if you think we should be concerned? Thanks!
shipwreck1964
First Name: Steve
Dog #1: Otto
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 15 Apr 2015

Post by shipwreck1964 »

Matt1287 wrote:Hi,

My GS is raw fed and she is almost 5 months old. She is only about 13KG. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what their dogs weighed around this age and if you think we should be concerned? Thanks!
Our boy Otto weighed in at 18kg at 4 months old. both his parents are big dogs. Plus Dogs are usually heavier/larger than the bitches.