Giant Schnauzer Hair loss and ? pigment loss around mouth an

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Mariam
First Name: Maria

Giant Schnauzer Hair loss and ? pigment loss around mouth an

Post by Mariam »

Hi,
My 23 month old, female giant has loss hair and ? pigment loss around her mouth and nose. She is otherwise very well and has not been in contact with any new potential allergens, changed her food, rooting around with her muzzle or any of the other obvious potential causes. My vet has given her a antibiotic/anti-inflammatory cream, but it seems to be getting worse, not better. Does anyone have any ideas? I have posted a picture in the photo gallery, as it was beyond me trying to attach it to this post.
Many thanks for your help,

Maria
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Giant Schnauzer Hair loss and ? pigment loss around mout

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome

Picture is a bit blurry but it reminds me of vitiligo which humans can also get where pigmentation is lost. It's hereditary so might be worth contacting her breeder to see if any of the dogs in her line have so at least you know what you're dealing with.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ski ... _disorders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The photo isn't very clear but it does appear to show some lumps under the nose,around the hair follicles,which look like a deep bacterial infection to me.
I would not be happy just applying a general antibiotic/ steroid cream until the vet had taken a small sample( scrape or small needle sample) to culture and then give a specific antibiotic if it is bacterial.i would insist he does this so you can get Bacterial or fungal infection ruled out..or confirmed.
It could be reaction to her food bowl..plastic bowls can cause this..change to stainless steel if she has a plastic bowl.
It could be autoimmune..lupus can show up like this in Its initial stages,but let's not jump to any conclusions before the skin scrape has ruled out bacterial infection.hope it's a simple fix..
Vitiligo is an option,but the hair will also lose pigment..usually shows up before three and may or may not involve hair loss..I don't think it looks like vitiligo,but photo isn't the best..
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Bumping this post up..( active)
Hot Poppy
Puppy
First Name: Penny
Dog #1: Reeba
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 02 Nov 2014

Post by Hot Poppy »

Hi there,
Sorry to hear your girl has issues.
Please also look into the vaccines, this sounds like a possible adverse reaction. There is a section in this group under Health, especially if your vet has used either the L4 or L2 vaccine. I'm not saying this is the case and the issue does need investigating. But vaccines are causing a vast amount of issues, I have seen this as a reaction. Your vet will completely dismiss this of course, but please look into it.
Best Regards
generaljake
Puppy
First Name: jason

Post by generaljake »

Hi, not sure about the pigment loss but, our giant had hair loss in patches due to thyroid issues

goodluck with your baby

J