what combination do I use for Mini and Giant Schnauzer

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi
Puppy
First Name: Linda

what combination do I use for Mini and Giant Schnauzer

Post by Mix+Otto-RALF+Rudi »

I was wondering what combination of worming medication and flea prevention other Mini schnauzer and Giant schnauzer owners use.

I have been advised by my vet to use Droncit and Advocate, but after reading some other members comments Iam wondering what is best.

When I owned my first min schnauzer (22 yrs ago) I must admit that I only administered worming medication, for the first few years then stopped all medication, and he lived until 18years.

I realise that off lead many dogs pick allsorts up and require some prevention, but what is the best combination.

Many thanks for any replies.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: what combination do I use for Mini and Giant Schnauzer

Post by Robin black mini »

In Italy I use cardotek plus ,from March to November which protects my two from filaria( heartworm) and the four major worm groups.
I use frontline combo..for ticks and fleas..but last yr had to change to bravecto for the ticks as we were overrun..three months duration,then I switched back to frontline combo.
November to March..we don't medicate,but I do take the poo in for parasite check twice in this period to be sure we are clear.

I would never use advocate as there are so many bad reactions to it..
I've used frontline plus for over 25 yrs here on five different breeds..no bad reactions.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Problem with frontline in many parts of UK is fleas have become resistant so it doesn't work. Maybe theres a bit of that in Italy which is why you had problems last year. :-\

Barney has program plus for fleas, heartworm and other worms.Which doesn't kill fleas if they feed but prevents them from breeding so you don't get an infestation. My vet recommended this as we are 1 dog family no cats. If cats around then he doesn't recommend as dogs normally end up with fleas from the cats. I have to say I dont give it every month.

He also has milbemex wormer, covers for something program plus doesnt which I give once every three months but dont give them both in same month, and he has natural Verm X crunchies daily as well as diatomaceous earth in his food.

I don't bother with tick treatment as theres never been a recorded case of Lymes disease over here. I just check him after walks and use tom o tick to take them off. Hes only had 2 this year and that was end of March, must be the garlic he has :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Dawnspell...I've never had a flea on my dogs in 50 plus years...just the Italian ticks here are my worry..we do have Lyme disease here so I have to be on top of ticks..
In May the ticks hatch and if a dog walks past a new hatch they can get over FOURTY tiny ticks in a moment.
Frontline will kill them but the bravecto is more effective ..kills in 8 hrs..however the fact it is an oral med lasting three months makes me very cautious and I won't use it more than once in a year.
We are tiled throughout..I think in uk the carpeting in houses is a huge factors in promoting fleas.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sorry Jo I misread your post as ticks and fleas not just ticks ;) Blimey wouldn't like to cope with that many.

I'm always on the lookout for fleas, as the hedgehogs in our garden are crawling with them. I've only ever seen one on Barney after he'd come in and quickly despatched it. I read somewhere the other day about using nematodes on grass/lawns to get rid of fleas in the garden.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
expensivelady
Puppy
First Name: Laura

Post by expensivelady »

I only worm if I have a high wormcount. http://Www.wormcount.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; provides an excellent service. We have a huge problem with ticks here in France so the non show dogs wear seresto collars and I sparingly use Advantix on the show dogs. There have been huge amounts of bad news surrounding Bravecto and Nexguard many reports of serious side effects including death so be aware of that.