Spencer

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
BFG
First Name: Nicola
Born: 09 Oct 2004

Spencer

Post by BFG »

I don't post anything much these days but some of you will remember Spencer my Giant.
I am afraid I had to have him put to sleep last Thursday morning. He had been very quiet on Wednesday and by Thursday morning he couldn't stand properly. Our vet suspected a major problem with his spine/disc or maybe a tumour affecting his spine. He would have been 12 on the 9th of October, he had a good life and after his Cushings diagnosis last Autumn I suppose we should be grateful for the extra time the drugs gave him and us.
RIP - Spencer 09/10/2004 - 22/09/2016
Spencer the BFG
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Re: Spencer

Post by Riesen16 »

I am sorry - it hurts terribly I know.

My German Shepherd, Buster, was lingering physically although each night when I went to bed he'd bring his football and bark for me to play with him for a minute or two.

One evening on the terrace he barked and I told him to be quiet but then went to bring him in. I called him but he couldn't stand up. Whilst waiting for the vet, I gave him a dog biscit or two. He wasn't in pain and even pawed at his football and rolled it to and fro. Our vet said it was probably Cauda Equina. He hadn't been walking well and we took him just round the garden on the lead. He was eleven.

Be well
Gill
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

Hi Nicola, really sorry to read your sad news about Spencer, I remember him from the old forum days.

Always such a hard time when we lose our close companions, my thoughts are with you.

Run free in the sunshine Spencer, BFG xxx
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

I certainly remember Spencer the "Big Friendly Giant" and I am so sorry to hear your sad news.
They say that our dogs give us the best days of our lives and then the very worst days. It is so true.
Many of us have been where you are and it is just the worst place.
When you feel able you might want to post a memorial to him in the Rainbow Bridge" section.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hope you are ok..he must have left a huge hole in your lives..I'm sorry for you loss.
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

I am sorry to hear your sad news, Its gut wrenching isn't it when you have to make that decision. God bless him
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

Hi Nicola, really sorry to hear Spencer has passed away, I remember him from the old forum days.

It’s a real kick in the gut, and the pain is like nothing else. Wishing you and your family healing thoughts and hugs

Run free BFG
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
Al T

Post by Al T »

So sorry to hear this ....RIP Spencer...
Sincerely,
Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
BFG
First Name: Nicola
Born: 09 Oct 2004

Post by BFG »

Thankyou for your replies, I miss him so much, he was my rock when I had cancer 4 years ago. I thought he would outlive me then, he kept me going back then. He was truly one in a million.
Spencer the BFG
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

So sorry to hear about Spencer.