getting a giant schnauzer

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
gtpkeeper
First Name: jon

getting a giant schnauzer

Post by gtpkeeper »

I'm currently getting a puppy tomorrow for my family. We have one all black giant schnauzer now and are thinking about getting a male pup to possibly breed with her in the future. My question would be... there is a black male and then there is one tan and black that is adorable(brown ears and some brown on the face and feet. Is it Ok to breed them together? they both are AKC registered. Health and personality comes first but then I want to keep the breed pure. any thoughts would be great. thank you :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: getting a giant schnauzer

Post by zeta1454 »

Breeding dogs responsibly is a huge commitment in time, financially and emotionally and you do need first and foremost to consider why you want to breed at all. The best person to advise someone considering starting out or even just having one litter from a bitch of any breed will be the breeder of that bitch. They will be able to share useful information about the pedigree / any health or conformation issues in the lines etc and whether your bitch is a good choice for a mother of a litter of pups.

Responsible breeders look for a sire for their planned litter on the basis of proven good health, good temperament and conformation to the "breed standard" . Most will also look for a mature dog whose health and temperament are proven over at least several years. It is almost impossible to be buying a puppy of any breed with the hope of it being a good stud dog / sire of a planned litter as you cannot predict whether that puppy will develop to a standard that makes him an ideal example of the breed or even if he proves to have the temperament or capability for this. If you find a first class breeder of giant schnauzers, they may be able to advise as to the potential of an individual puppy but it will never be guaranteed.

As regards your question of colour, the AKC breed standard is clear that the only recognised colours for the Giant Schnauzer in the USA are solid black or pepper & salt:

http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/standa ... 1468856706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the two puppies you mention are from the same litter, it sounds as though there may be some cross breeding in the lines at some stage for one to be tan and black?

If you are just looking for a pet and you trust the breeder to be breeding responsibly and raising their puppies to the highest standards then, as you say, health and temperament are priorities, rather than colour. If however you plan to breed from your bitch, I would go back to your girl's breeder and discuss potential sires with them. Better to pay a responsible owner of a first class stud dog with proven health and temperament that has also been proven to produce quality offspring than gamble on buying a puppy that has no certainty of achieving this :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/