Air Travel With a Giant

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
dpp696
First Name: Dylan

Air Travel With a Giant

Post by dpp696 »

I was wondering if anyone has traveled internationally with their giant. I'm planning for relocation in the upcoming months and I'm worried mainly about finding the proper crate and purchasing a used one right now. For the rest of the traveling I'll be hiring a pet travel agency to handle the specifics as I'm realizing it's much harder to move animals than it is for humans lol. Any input is appreciated.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Air Travel With a Giant

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Dylan..can you tell us your destination and time of year for your travel?

I spent two years in USA and took my Rottweiler and then my dogue de Bordeaux mastiff from Italy,to Chicago,then St. Louis...so will give you lots of suggestions ....every country has specific regulations so would be good to know where you are going.

Right now you should prepare your dog for travel by......
Getting him used to a vari kennel...he can sleep in it with the door open so it becomes a second home before he uses it to travel..

Get his pet passport,it lasts for one year..
He will need his rabies vacc up to date..

More later when you update.. :)
dpp696
First Name: Dylan

Post by dpp696 »

Yeah from the US to New Zealand in about 5 months. Right now im trying to find a used crate for him since new ones are 300$ and up for the giant size. Hes up to date on all his shots and everything im just trying to find a travel agency that isnt quoting me 8-10 thousand dollars to handle moving him through the airports lol. I know in NZ he has to be quarantined for 10 days as well.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/newzealand.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Costs? Says here, a cat or small dog will be from 2000 dollars,your big boy will be significantly more.
https://www.enz.org/moving-pets-to-new-zealand.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Detailed Document ...worth a read..
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;