Black / Silver Giant Schnauzers

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Black / Silver Giant Schnauzers

Post by Riesen16 »

Has anybody information on this subject?'
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Black / Silver Giant Schnauzers

Post by Robin black mini »

hi gill ,look at Skansen USA She is breeding black and silver schnauzers.
I've not made up my mind on these as yet.Obviously they are not the standard colours and have to have been produced through selective breeding for the b/s colour ...if this involves using different sizes from the three groups,it begs the question as to how temperament and structure have been affected.
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

Black and Silver Giants occur naturally every now and again, in Pepper and Salts you usually need a black Grandparent along the way, but that dosn't always gaurantee B&S pups, and rarely still they come out of a mating fom 2 Black dogs, I have not worked out the mode of inheritance or why this shoud happen, back in the 80's / 90's quite a lot were born, and breeders either rgistered them Black and Tan or Pepper and Salt and very occasionally Black and Silver, with the breeding of non natural colours in minis ( chocolate, parti merle) the kennel club have clamped down and no longer recognise the Black and Silver Giant sadly, a couple of years ago I tried to persuade the Giant Club to make it an accepted colour.... although it didn't happen the comittee seemed to accept my comments that this was a natural occuring colour and not a 'designer one' like the minis. Recently the German Pinscher Schnauzer Club are in negotiation with the FCI and are looking to maybe accepting this colour and are holding a big breed show where there will be classes for this colour and they will be judged by Astrid Schon. There has been concerted breeding of Black and Silvers in Sweden, Estonia and ther countries in Europe and I for one am happy that their dedication and hard work may soon be repaid with getting acceptance at last ^:)^ ^:)^
have the courage to stand up for what you believe to be right, even if everyone else is sitting down, as long as you are prepared to be hammered for it.
Riesen16

Post by Riesen16 »

https://www.genomia.cz/en/Schnauzer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above is a website dealing with the Genetics of the Schnauzer.
Germany has put in a claim for the responsibility also for Black and Silver Giants of which I approve.
It's strange really, white Boxers were not desired, so they "disappeared". Now they are allowed.
The Newfoundlands of which there are black and white and black, must have at some time had grey puppies (Prof. Dr. Göertler).
Every so often, a grey Berger de Brie appeared (and "disappeared"). For a while now, a breeder is just breeding grey dogs.

On a German Forum of which I am a member, a knowledgeable member wrote that we have enough health problems to deal with, with just 2 colours.

It's a strange world.
Riesen16

Post by Riesen16 »

A little more information:

By Resolution, the Board decided on April 19, 2018 to allow the registration and presentation of Giant Schnauzers, black-silver, for exhibition only and without awards, for the occasion of the Annual Winner Show 2018.
Black-silver Giants can be registered, will be discussed by a committee, and will be presented in the ring of honour to the public.
The Executive Board fulfills herewith the assignment of the membership during the JHV 2016, to take on the subject of black and silver Giants.
Since black and silver puppies are born in litters from time to time and requests have been made to allow the standard to include black-silver in Giants, the dogs are already shown in shows in other countries, the board will not close this matter. Under no circumstances should another country apply for the recognition of this color, as we would then relinquish the standard into other hands.
However, before bringing an application to the annual meeting and then to VDH/ FCI to change the standard, we should give interested groups and their black-silver Giants, inland and other countries, the opportunity to introduce their dogs to the public and the board in various shows, to help with further decisions in this matter.
The registration form for the Annual Winner Show will be adjusted accordingly and the decision will be published at home and other countries.
On behalf of the board Astrid Schön
Main breed Officer