What should you consider before getting a Giant?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

What should you consider before getting a Giant?

Post by BBG »

It's been playing on my mind the amount of Giants that have had to be re-homed in the last 7 months (as long as I've had my pup). I know the amount on this forum is probably only a small percentage of the number of puppies registered in that time and hopefully there aren't too many more out there that have turned up in rescue homes. Other breeds such as greyhounds, staffys and spaniels have far more dogs that end up unwanted but it's probably similar in percentage terms as there are more of them around.

What considerations should people take into account before getting a big dog? To take a quote out of the Giant Schnauzer handbook some people "don't put any more consideration into choosing a dog than buying a second hand car"

The first question has got to be:

Why am I getting a dog?

Can I afford to buy/feed/groom/insure/care for it for the next 8 -16 years?

Have I got the time to train and exercise a big energetic dog adequately?

What dog will fit my circumstances - size, temprament, energy levels, space.

Have I researched the breed? Visited more than one breeder, been up close and personal to an adult dog

Have I choosen the right breeder and what support will I get?

Am I prepared for possible distruction of furniture, possessions, garden etc

Anyone want to add anything else?
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
Dog #2: Fingal

Re: What should you consider before getting a Giant?

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

Why am I getting a Giant?

Do I have a brain, and do I know how to use it? (sorry, naughty, but had to be said...)

Do I have a sense of humor?

Do I have oodles of patience?

Am I willing to learn new things for the next 0-16 years, or preferably, for the rest of my life?

Am I likely to have significant changes in my life style during next 0-16 years (children, move, change of employment etc) which may affect my dog?

The list will go on forever...as long as you are willing to learn and give your everything and accept many new things in your life, you should be ok...Having a dog is like being a "life coach" for one. It a challenge, but if you will rise for it, you'll be just fine, and so will you Giant.
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Post by black beard »

Good post BBG
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

It has to be said, it also comes down to the breeders, it's they who are selling these puppies to the wrong people as well as the wrong people wanting to buy them. Too many puppies around and then some breeders just sell to anyone to 'get rid' and move on the the next litter. This breed cannot take the amount that is being bred at this time, especially when money is so tight for everyone this makes breeders make bad choices. At the end of the day some breeders need to say no to unsuitable owners and no to continually churning out litter after litter for the pet market, and wake up and realise they are the gardians of the breed not just the keeper to make as much money as possible.
Sorry that had to be said too.
have the courage to stand up for what you believe to be right, even if everyone else is sitting down, as long as you are prepared to be hammered for it.
Mari Obi and Fingal

Grovelea wrote:It has to be said, it also comes down to the breeders, it's they who are selling these puppies to the wrong people as well as the wrong people wanting to buy them. Too many puppies around and then some breeders just sell to anyone to 'get rid' and move on the the next litter. This breed cannot take the amount that is being bred at this time, especially when money is so tight for everyone this makes breeders make bad choices. At the end of the day some breeders need to say no to unsuitable owners and no to continually churning out litter after litter for the pet market, and wake up and realise they are the gardians of the breed not just the keeper to make as much money as possible.
Sorry that had to be said too.
Spot on, Sue!! The breeders are the Guardians of the breed-the breeder responsibility is immense, and I believe they are responsible of the lives they create.
They have the responsibility of maintaining the breed standard, improving the health of the breed, and selling the pups to suitable owners, amongst other things.
I wish more breeders would rise for the responsibility. It is sad that Giant seems to be a fashionable breed at the present, and there are too many puppies available.

Once the breed has been ruined (too many bad combinations bred, dogs bred for money and looks, too many litters to make money, too many health problems introduced to the breed due to irresponsible breeding, and the breed characteristics diluted enough to make Giant a suitable pet for any person/family thus removing the original qualities from the breed), it is near impossible to get the original Giant back. And all that is down to the breeders...
Mari

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

A dog is what you make it - so you get out what you put in. :)
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Tulip wrote:A dog is what you make it - so you get out what you put in. :)
Not always the case. If the work drive has been bred out [like in most lines of giants], there is nothing you can do, to put it back in again.
There is only one stud giant in this country who has IPO1, Annies dad.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

We are thinking of making this thread a "sticky" so that it will always stay at the top of the "Giant section".
Any comments would be appreciated.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Good idea Graham (bigthumbs) !
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

OK......Done!!
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I was talking more along the lines of the training and obedience - but whatever. :)
Mari Obi and Fingal

Tulip wrote:I was talking more along the lines of the training and obedience
The truth is that you can train a dog as much as you want, but if the dog has not got the right characteristics for the job, it will never be an excellent (or even good) dog in that required job. That's why breeding is so important--if the working ability is bred out from the dog, it will not be able to perform the work to the required standard.
The required standard is dictated by the rules of dog sports (Schutzhund/IPO)/dog breeding standard (Körung), and if the dog does not conform with the required breed/breeding standard, and should not be bred from. As simple as that.
Most British breeders and KC itself choose to ignore the European breeding (which includes health, working and looks) standard, and they probably are working against the benefit for the breed. This is not acting to the benefit of the the breed, and does not demonstrate the Guardianship of the breed as a whole.
Just my opinion.
Mari

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I see what you mean, and that's definately one way to think of it. I certainly agree that you can't train for things like drive, etc., but I merely meant that you get what you put in, and a dog isn't going to turn out perfect without work. That was it. :p
Mari Obi and Fingal

Yep, Tulip, I now see what you are saying, but you can't take out what is not in there ;-)
Mari

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I completely agree. I bet the most frustrating thing for you must be seeing a Giant that's REALLY cut out for the job and is in a home that don't put him to good use and hone that born and bred skill.

Anyway, sorry my wording caused a minor technicality! Back on topic!

Are there any Giant manners that should be taught for the house that people might not have considered? (Counter cruising, leaning on kids, etc?)