What should you consider before getting a Giant?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Gently Bentley

Re: What should you consider before getting a Giant?

Post by Gently Bentley »

On those figures, to me it looks like the BVA/KC should advise hip scoring Giants in the UK. Not many have been tested but there is a problem if some are recording a score of 76 when the mean is 14. I don't think this is something that the breed can be complacent about. It may not be considered a problem at the moment but it has the potential to become a problem that could be prevented before it gets a hold in the UK. The continent is also not immune from hip dysplasia, and importing dogs from Europe is not a guarantee of good health. My own dog has a higher than average hip score which is why I've stopped showing him and will be having him neutered once he's matured.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

What's considered a 'higher than average' hip score, can I ask? I know nothing about the health testing of Giants!
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

I believe the 76 was from a p/s import, not related closely to any dogs already here and p/s are known to have more health issues then blacks.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Tulip wrote:What's considered a 'higher than average' hip score, can I ask? I know nothing about the health testing of Giants!
This single number given is the score for both hips added together, so a dog with a score of 14 could have two hips both scoring 7 or 1 and 13. Generally Even scores are preferred over uneven although there may be exceptions to this depending on the score and cause if known, and the lower the score the better, 0 is for perfect hips and is possible. All the hipscores taken in a breed are averaged out to get a breed average score, from Gently's post I understand that is 14 in Giants, anything over that is higher than average. Of course this must be considered along with the rest of the dog, an excellent dog with a score a few points higher than average should not be ruled out of a breeding programme, particularly in numerically small breeds, but on the otherside of the coin a score of 0 is not enough reason to breed in an otherwise poor dog. Popular breeds like labs may use the score as a cut off point meaning only dogs with an average or lower score are bred from. Hip scores are not an exact science, they can be affected by injury, over-exercise, genetics or other unknown reasons. Modes of inheritance are not known but is believed to be via several genes.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Ahhh I see. Thank you!
GissyGiantSchnauzer
Puppy

Post by GissyGiantSchnauzer »

A big dog requires a big space. They need a big space to roam around because these big dogs needs lots of exercise to be fit.
"There is no such thing as an ugly Giant Schnauzer. There are some that are closer to perfection than others, that is all." - Frank Grover
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I don't really agree with that...Greyhounds for example make good apartment dogs because though they're large, they're also very low-energy. I believe that Mari on here also has a Giant on her canal boat, so not necessary to have a huge space to keep a larger breed. :)
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Fingal

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

^^hear hear Tulip ;-)
Yep, I believe what do you do with your dog outdoors counts more than the room in the house. Indoors Obi chills and sometimes does "mind games", he gets enough activities outdoors to be relaxed indoors.
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Same here. We don't have a huge house and garden, but we have woods, fields and a country park within a few minutes walk. Training classes, and thinking games at home means he's generally chilled out round the house.
Snazy

Post by Snazy »

unless he's near a cup of coffee? ;o)

Anonymous

greenvalley
Puppy

Post by greenvalley »

The first two posts are very good considerations. I know a lot of people who get dogs without really having thought of that first and then they regret it (that actually doesn't go just for dogs, but also cats, rabbits and other types of pets). I always feel so bad when someone's lack of preparation and enough consideration results in having to abandon a dog or sell/give it to somebody else. It's not as easy as click here and get a dog, there need to be a bit more mental effort in the whole deal.
Last edited by greenvalley on 23 Aug 2011, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Snazy wrote:unless he's near a cup of coffee? ;o)

(giggle)

I'm painting, go away! Here's your ball, take it to dad - he'll play with you!
Snazy

Post by Snazy »

pictures ball falling into open tin of paint

Anonymous

montykins

Post by montykins »

The bother I'm having with Dylan at the moment I'd say have your brain removed!!!!
kell
First Name: kay
Dog #1: Luath
Born: 16 May 2008
Dog #2: Max
Born: 12 Jul 2007
Dog #3: Kellrainvbow bridge
Born: 10 Oct 1995

Post by kell »

There are so many threads to this subject and all so interesting. I meet people who have their dogs on a lead and it is pulling. Seeing Luath they then say oh isn't she good / quiet or beautiful I would love one!! I go into the lecture mode that they are a lot of work with continual training. They say oh but the older they get the more they learn NO. How do others cope with these people who either treat their dogs like babies or allow them to walk all over them. I would love to have got Ryl the giant up for rehoming and I know I could probably train him BUT could I hold him and would he bully my Luath and the cat.
I think we need to train the owners as well as the dogs. I know if I ever breed with Luath people who are interested I know and I can see have trained their dogs. They understand the pandemonium Luath caused in the park and how she now behaves. How do other people vet their prospectus buyers?
I think it is important to take the dog back but also think it would have been better to keep an eye on the pup growing up and how do you do that?