Young male Giants?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
riiseni

Young male Giants?

Post by riiseni »

I thought I'd write a thread about young male Giants, because in the past I've had a lot of stick from all directions, when I've said that Giants and specially male Giants are not easy dogs and that people should really have a good think before getting one.
In the last week we've had a 17 month old young male with three homes, 16 month old, 19 month old and a 12 month old Giant males up for rehome.
There was also Dillon, who ended up going back to his breeder at a very young age, because his novice owner couldn't cope.
I myself had a very difficult male Giant who, with a lot of work, ended up being my 'once in a lifetime dog' and whom I miss dearly, but the times I was in tears with him could not be counted with two hands or feet.
I'm not saying they are all difficult, but many are so you need to set the ground rules from day one.
If you are considering a male Giant, please do your homework really well and ask questions.
Read threads in this forum and specially the rehoming section.
There is nothing better than a fully grown, well trained Giant male, but to get one of these, you need to be prepared to put in the work.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Young male Giants?

Post by Sianny »

Absolutely. It also appears to me you need ALOT of will and consistency. My OH isn't consistent with Ralphy and we get by with it but if this was a Giant I think it would be less endearing if they jumped up at someone on the beach .. IE - knocked over person instead of tinsy sand paw prints on their knees!

They need hours of physical exercise every day, alot more than a mini requires so in my opinion you have to already have a very very active lifestyle and go out in all weathers. On top of this you've got mental stimulation to provide so that you minimise all chances of mischief!

Think about size! A small dog can steal a sock from the bottom row of your clothes horse, a big dog can run off with your clothes horse. A small dog can be kept away from food, fragile things, paracetomol, cooking hobs etc because they can't reach the kitchen counter. A big dog can reach the top of a bookcase and eat tupperware if they so wish (Minxter..!). This might sound patronising but I know I could never have my mates choccy lab over without putting most of my furniture in the spare room first - not even my home is cut out for it.

Not to mention me...! I know that I could never ever have a Giant, I think they are gorgeous and I love a pair of paws on my shoulder. I would love to "have" one but it's not that simple. They are one of the biggest lifestyle choices of the dog world... along with other big, intelligent breeds. Have you had a large, intelligent and stubborn breed before? Experience has to start somewhere and obviously everyone has to get a dog for the first time but in my opinion, you don't get a Giant as a "first dog", you as a person need to be tried and tested. If not, then atleast with a challenging horse or something!

And the aforementioned is just a little of what I have gathered from this forum as a reader and member so definitely take what Riiseni has to say seriously and do your research on this forum, meet Giants, read books, speak to Giant owners on the phone. Riiseni knows what she's talking about. And like she says, if you've got what it takes, after a couple of years you'll have a contented giant sharing the sofa with you (reluctantly).

I know I just repeated what Satu just said in a mad, welsh broken biscuits type way but I wanted to highlight that it's taken me years of reading forums to really realise how important her message is.
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Having a fiercly clever, working breed, hormone-raging dog that's just reached adolecence would easily be the end of me on a bad day! Very important message to give out, I've never owned a Giant and though our words may not always be the same to describe them, it's clear to me that in their prime they're far too clever for their own good! Honestly though, I find it hard work to deal with Maisy through adolecence, and she's very amicable and well trained; to consistantly train a Giant for the three years it takes to get that perfect result you're waiting for, exercise at least an hour a day, mentally exercise for two hours a day, and to curb all the height-related manners like table surfing is just beyond my time limit right now! I wouldn't say this about many dogs, but big breeds that don't mature until a good 2-3 years and are clever are a full time job! Especially when that dog also needs desensitising to a lot of grooming through out its life too!
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

Post by wazzockmum »

Riiseni is spot on. I have 3 Giant males - currently one of them being an 8mth pup.

Hubby was last to bed last night - so this morning went down to find the oven on - Alfie had been "oven surfing"!

Yesterday he nicked the wooden spoon off the side whilst I was cooking and I could not find it anywhere and did not suspect the little blighter until it was too late!

There is an American GS breeder website that has a "Puppy Contract" on it - it asks questions about everything and says basically if you cannot answer YES to all these questions a GS may not be for you. Was really impressed with it - and sorry cannot find a link.

I think though that GS owners can also take responsibility for new owners - how often when stopped do we say " oh yes they are wonderful, yes beautiful too, yes thank you - Giant Schanuzer". Instead of " they are Giant Schnauzers and they can be tricky not a first timers dog and only if you have time and space"...
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Good post Satu.

Rufus attracts a lot of attention when we're out and about but is generally well behaved.

Punter - Isn't he handsome? He's very calm for a big young dog? Can I stroke him? He's a gentle giant? He's good with children then? I think I'd quite like a Giant !!!!!

My mind - Noooooooo, you're not suitable, you wouldn't put in the time and effort, and then he'd end up in the rehoming section. You can't even cope with the ill behaved cocker thats yapping it's head off and pulling your push chair along.

I'm sure someone in my area will one day appear with a Giant because of Rufus.

I always tell people he has his moments, stress that he's high maintenance, and is the way he is because he's religiously been to obedience classes from 9 weeks, gets exercised appropriately 3 times/day otherwise he gets up to mischief, although he's low shed he needs grooming every day otherwise he will shed and needs hand stripping every week, needs feeding appropriately other wise he'll be hyperactive, weighs 6.5 stone and is very clumsy and has no concept of his size and clumsiness.

They're sneaky too! Rufus had a packet of bacon off the work top the other day. I didn't even realise he was in the kitchen! It was one of those moments when you put something down then step to the side to get a knife, then think you've had a senior moment, (the subconcious makes a note that the dog has quietly let himself out the back door) so you go back to the fridge to get out the bacon, think to yourself I'm sure there were 2 packs, shrug and think the kids must have eaten it, only to look out the kitchen window at the dog laying in the middle of the back garden chomping on something between his paws............

Edited to add - see 'Coffee anyone' thread to see Rufus in action in the kitchen!
Last edited by BBG on 22 Jan 2011, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

What superb posts about living with a male Giant.

I have 2 Giant girls and they are hard work, Heidi (black) particularly so as she must always have the last word!

I aspire to own a male Giant in the future as I would relish the challenge but I know I'm not ready yet.

Ah well maybe one day..........
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

i agree about male schanuzers being strong willed but is there anything wrong with that? i have had schanauzers for 28 years and we are picking another one up next saturday and looking foreward to it.yes he might take the lend but over time he will settle. i think it would be better if you have had dogs before you get a giant but dont be put off if you want one go out and get one. to us all on this site remember we were all first timers with giants so lets not frighting people off.just give advice and most breeders do that to help first timers.regards joe
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Very good point Joe, it's lovely to be welcomed into the breed, I find that as someone who's very new to showing being welcomed by people and given tips is very reassuring. I think it's just frustrating for people on this forum to see Giants that come and go through the rehoming section that have been given up through no fault of their own, just because their owners don't realise that a working dog needs to be worked mentally and physically, and being so large, they stay puppies for longer than most! That said, no one here would deny someone the ultimate pleasure of embarking on the adventure of owning a dog, I think we all know what that feels like!
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze

Post by BBG »

murphygrowl wrote:i agree about male schanuzers being strong willed but is there anything wrong with that? i have had schanauzers for 28 years and we are picking another one up next saturday and looking foreward to it.yes he might take the lend but over time he will settle. i think it would be better if you have had dogs before you get a giant but dont be put off if you want one go out and get one. to us all on this site remember we were all first timers with giants so lets not frighting people off.just give advice and most breeders do that to help first timers.regards joe

I'm a first time Giant owner. I've wanted one for a long while but waited until I knew my circumstances would allow me to own one. I wouldn't change Rufus for the world and I don't think I'll ever have another breed of dog now. I think it's not a case of putting off first timers as making them think what they are committing themselves to. A Giant (or any big energetic dog for that matter) isn't the type of dog you can shut in the kitchen and leave all day while you go out to work. You won't have a kitchen!

If you don't have the time, don't have a Giant. In fact don't have any dog!
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

Riiseni could you post about a day in the life of a giant and owner and then perhaps people could see the commitment needed. I know I couldn't cope with a giant although I think they are lovely.
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

murphygrowl wrote:i agree about male schanuzers being strong willed but is there anything wrong with that? i have had schanauzers for 28 years and we are picking another one up next saturday and looking foreward to it.yes he might take the lend but over time he will settle. i think it would be better if you have had dogs before you get a giant but dont be put off if you want one go out and get one. to us all on this site remember we were all first timers with giants so lets not frighting people off.just give advice and most breeders do that to help first timers.regards joe
Again the message in my post is being twisted. I in no point said that there is something wrong with male Giants being strong minded. I love the them being strong minded and would find any dogs that aren't boring.
I also did not try to put people of from buying them. I only asked people to consider whether they are prepared to put in the work that is required to bring up a Giant properly.
It is very clear that the most likely Giant to end up in the rehoming section is an adolescent male. I've had both and the bitches are a walk in the park for me, because I've had a difficult male.
Myself, like BBG, constanly get told how lovely and well behaved my dogs are and how beautiful they look. None of this comes free or without me spending all my spare time walking, training and grooming them.
I walked them an hour in the morning, 2-3 hours in the afternoon and on top of that, I do obedience training with Annie every day at least 30 minutes, plus tracking at the weekends with extra obedience training.
The walks are all off lead and to get somewhere to do that for 2-3 hours I have to drive 20-30 minutes, which again takes another hour and a half out of my day.
I will also start agility with Annie when she's one and that will then take all my saturdays.
My dogs are happy and healhy, they are not frustrated or badly behaved and will never end up in a rescue as long as I'm alive.
The problems with Archie were my fault. I spoilt him, by not being assertive enough when he was young and therefore he ended up having a dominance aggression. Outside the house he was a complete gentleman, but in the house it was a completely different story.
Like I've said before, I know what I'm talking about and if I can help any young Giant from ending up in the rescue, that is all I care about.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm genuinely interested and not trying to pick at you Satu, but can Annie start agilty at just a year? I always thought that larger dogs took so much longer to fully grow and have their plates settle.
You sure do have a busy day, it makes me glad I have two low-maintenance physical dogs, an hour a day off lead is enough for them!
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Forgot to mention that I also fully Barf my Giants and spend a lot of time going to two different butchers, planning and preparing their meals.
I don't mind spending a lot of time and money on my dogs. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have them.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Beth, she can start all the low impact stuff like the weaving poles and tunnels etc.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Ohhhhh, sorry, I never take that into account when I hear agility! I imagine all the Collies doing speed of light stuff over the jumps, forgot about the rest. :p