Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Re: Schnauzerfest 17th & 18th October 2015

Post by Lou78 »

HI

Apologies if this has been posted already and I have missed it but can someone tell me the details for this year's Schnauzerfest walk at Heaton Park in Manchester? I know the Delamere one is on the Sunday but Heaton Park is nearer.

I think it is in BeeBee's list but not on the calendar on here. I am not on facebook.

Just as date and time will do! Thank you! We (and Ollie!) are looking forward to it already! ;)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

It's the Sunday now, it's just moved, same time 11am.
You should be able to see the details even if not on Facebook, it's just like a normal website (I think!)
https://www.facebook.com/events/790569614330876/
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks, BeeBee. I tried to click the link but i am at work (! :-" ) and anything with Facebook in it is blocked on our PCs! I will try this when i get home! Sunday is fine. Probably better actually as my sister and nephew want to come. They don't have a Schnauzer, they just want to join in!!!! :))
Bramble1965
Puppy
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Bramble
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Mar 2011
Dog #2: Poppy
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Mar 2013

Post by Bramble1965 »

BeeBee wrote:We now have 33 walks confirmed for Schnauzerfest \:D/ Plenty of time to get more in. Take a look at the list here, even if one is planned nearby and you'd like to offer to host one, do get in touch as people will always be happy to have a choice and certainly there are plenty of dogs and people who will prefer a smaller gathering. Or try the alternate day if one's planned already. People are keen to go on walks both days if options are there :)

This year is shaping up brilliantly, as well as the walks being planned, there are things that people are creating and others are buying in exchange for donations, it's really bringing out a fantastic creative, cooperative spirit in everyone taking part.

We have a few things in the pipeline to gain more support and participation, including an upcoming feature on DBARC and Schnauzerfest in a future issue of Dogs Today magazine :D \:D/

Please think about taking part in whatever way you can :)
https://www.facebook.com/SchnauzerfestUK/events
I've just put a post in our walking group. To see if we can get another walk planned for Wirral/Cheshire area.

Paws crossed, your doing a brilliant job again this year :lol:
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

Updated list of walks - 36 now across the country which is great going. Lots of people signed up for walks, let's hope lots of donations will be rolling in, 3 weeks today :)

Still time to add a walk if you're tempted to get one together, there's not a lot to it, being a host shouldn't be a burden on anyone, everyone is expected to take responsibility for their own dogs, and selves. Just like on any other dog walk. To host, a good place is somewhere that's accessible with parking, public toilets nearby, and safe for off-lead walking for those that want that. Check any local rules or regulations relating to dogs walking, apart from that, it's common sense really :)

https://www.facebook.com/SchnauzerfestUK/events
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Post by Wookie Woo »

Make that 37 walks ;)
Not sure how to add it properly so hope this is ok but please feel free to tweek it ;)
Schnauzerfest 2015 - Walk on Sunday 18th October at Studland Beach 10.30am.
Post code : BH19 3AH Knoll Beach (dogs allowed OFF LEAD from now until the 1st of May 2016)
We can't make it to a walk on Saturday 17th October and after talking to a few people today neither can they so I thought I'd try and organise a walk for Sunday 18th @10.30am
Starting from the Main Car Park (the one almost opposite the Knoll House Hotel Studland) Cafe, Loo's and Shop.
Shall we all meet at the Car Park on the LEFT (the large lower car park) it's Pay and Display this time of year, FREE to National Trust Members.
From the Car Park we can walk through the Dunes for a couple of minutes and then down on to the beach and head towards the ferry (and back) but as its Schnauzerfest and the aim is to raise money for DBARC (Diana Brimblecombe Animal Rescue Centre) how about if we bring our own drinks/flasks and put any money we would of spent in the cafe into a pot and send the funds on to DBARC (I'm happy to take responsibility as long as that's ok with everyone)
I was wondering if I made a few cakes (depending on knowing how many people are planing on coming) and charged a £1 a slice that would be a bit more money in the pot - is that ok with people ? (Don't want to make them if no-one will buy a slice :) )
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
Bettys Mom
Puppy
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Betty
Born: 14 Jul 2007

Post by Bettys Mom »

Apologies if I am just not seeing the obvious but, is there still a walk at Dovedale :-\ ? Thanks, Chris
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

The Annual Schnauzer Walk is at Dovedale in May each year but nobody has come forward to host it as a Schnauzerfest venue (yet), would you like to Chris?
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Bettys Mom
Puppy

Post by Bettys Mom »

Eeeek :-o , I don't know whether I would know where to start. Think I may take the easy option and join the Worcester walk on this occasion (and speak to whoever is organising it to see what's involved ready for next year). Sorry :ymblushing:
KeithMoonQuinlan
First Name: Vikki
Dog #1: Keith Moon Quinlan
Born: 28 Nov 2013
Dog #2: Oliver Reed Quinlan
Born: 05 Jan 2016

Post by KeithMoonQuinlan »

Keith and I will be attending our first Schnauzerfest at Newmillerdam. We don't really know many other Schnauzers here in Leeds so will be lovely to meet new faces - furry and not. Look out for the flying ears (Keith) and bright red hair (me). :)
Mike Jackson
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Boris
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Bertie
Born: 14 Jul 2009
Dog #3: Arthur
Born: 08 May 2011
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hosting a walk is easy. all you need to do is research an area (or pick one that you know), ensure that there is parking available, decide on a time, date and let us know andyou're ready to go. If there's somewhere to get refreshments after the walk that's great.

Some people take donations on the day, others prefer to have nothing to do with the money and get everyone to donate via the links. A lot of people will make cakes or dog treats to sell on the day. Others will make doggy paraphernalia. Some walks are running small raffles alongside the main raffle. (I'm jealous of one of the prizes the Brighton walk is offering). I'll be making cakes for the Rye walk for a suggested donation of £1 each.

Nothing is compulsory. The aim of the day is to have fun whilst raising money for two very worthwhile charities.
Bettys Mom
Puppy

Post by Bettys Mom »

Well that sounds easy enough!

I did think of organising one near to us in Shropshire (this was in September). I emailed the appropriate person in charge of the site of the walk (I was looking at Haughmond Hill near Shrewsbury) as I thought these things had to be done through official channels. I received a reply email asking how many people there were likely to be in the group, would we clean up after the dogs/use appropriate bins, would everyone be given a health and safety briefing etc. etc....needless to say I thought I was going to get out of my depth (for example I am not qualified to give health and safety talks) so I shied away from the idea. I think therefore we will stick with joining an already organised walk on this occasion (muppet that I am I have realised that the Worcester walk posted was actually last year's walk which we attended! :-" DOH!!). Hubby wants an excuse to take the caravan away too, so I think we will be heading to the Melbourne (Derbyshire) walk :o3
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

Bettys Mom wrote:Well that sounds easy enough!

I did think of organising one near to us in Shropshire (this was in September). I emailed the appropriate person in charge of the site of the walk (I was looking at Haughmond Hill near Shrewsbury) as I thought these things had to be done through official channels. I received a reply email asking how many people there were likely to be in the group, would we clean up after the dogs/use appropriate bins, would everyone be given a health and safety briefing etc. etc....needless to say I thought I was going to get out of my depth (for example I am not qualified to give health and safety talks) so I shied away from the idea.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Don't these rules just kill off enthusiasm X( It's one thing I hope doesn't happen as Schnauzerfest grows for as soon as we have to all get into that, it makes it a lot more onerous. Unnecessarily. I was ok as I read the above until I got to the H&S briefing. I mean, a dog walk? We always stress to everyone taking part in any of the walks that they're responsible for their own dogs, themselves, no-one else beyond what we'd all do in a normal social situation. Hosts are not responsible in any way for anyone else. Think some of this depends on the locations selected. We've had 1 walk that we know of this year where the park people wanted permission to be asked for - they gave it - and the hosts dealt with everything.
It's also one big reason I'd like lots of smaller walks to happen each year rather than fewer larger ones which are always going to bring potential issues. Also, plenty of dogs (and humans) prefer smaller groups for walking.
Well done anyway for thinking about hosting, you've got a year to scout out a few potential locations where no-one needs asking about any rules etc :)
Thanks for taking part and all support :D
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

BeeBee wrote:Don't these rules just kill off enthusiasm It's one thing I hope doesn't happen as Schnauzerfest grows for as soon as we have to all get into that, it makes it a lot more onerous. Unnecessarily. I was ok as I read the above until I got to the H&S briefing. I mean, a dog walk?
Hear hear Beebee! I don't give a health and safety brief to people who come to my house! Well, apart from "beware the Schnauzer"! I like to think we are all responsible to look after ourselves and our dogs! I must admit though, it is exactly this kind of rigmarole that would put me off too so Bettys Mom is not on her own! I am lucky that there are other good folk in my area prepared to organise and I can't wait for the Heaton Park one. I also can't wait to see my 2 year old nephew's face when he sees so many "oof oofs" in the same place!!! :o3
shaunius
Puppy
First Name: shaun
Dog #1: Horace
Born: 16 Apr 2014

Post by shaunius »

Lou78 wrote: Hear hear Beebee! I don't give a health and safety brief to people who come to my house! Well, apart from "beware the Schnauzer"! I like to think we are all responsible to look after ourselves and our dogs! I must admit though, it is exactly this kind of rigmarole that would put me off too so Bettys Mom is not on her own! I am lucky that there are other good folk in my area prepared to organise and I can't wait for the Heaton Park one. I also can't wait to see my 2 year old nephew's face when he sees so many "oof oofs" in the same place!!! :o3
Heaton Park was very nearly cancelled thanks to these types of rules!!! However, after a LOT of toing and froing and, quite frankly, quite a bit of stress, we managed to talk them round but we had to change the day! Carl really worked hard to ensure the event could go ahead! So a big big shout out to him!

What I would suggest, going forward for Schnauzerfest either for this year or next, is that each and every event should contain a disclaimer that "attending walks is voluntary, the host is not liable etc etc etc". There has to be some sort of "protection" for hosts if Schnauzerfest are trying to avoid official cover etc! If anything, god forbid, did go wrong on any of the walks, where does the responsibility lie?

As Schnauzerfest continues to grow, unfortunately, I think this is something you are going to have to explore.... maybe seeking a bit of legal advice along the line.

Anyhoo, despite the stress, we are now looking forward to what we hope will be a great day out at Heaton Park and have a few things planned to raise money and ensure we have another great afternoon out with our walking group and beardies with any money raised going to Schnauzerfest!!

Look forward to seeing you there Louise!! :) :)