Differences between the colours?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
chilla

Re: Differences between the colours?

Post by chilla »

My pepper and salt, Stella, and Ruby the black and silver, are very similar in temperament, with Ruby being the even more horizontal of the two. Both very affectionate and laid back and equally yappy when someone dares to walk past their garden!
Bill 12 Papillon; Till 9ish Garston Terrier (OK, Bitzer); Stella 7 Min P&S Schnau; Ruby 3 B&S min Schnau; Heidi daft puppy, german klein spitz
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

My blacks are yappy, clever, affectionate, stupid, territorial and, as Jo so eloquently put it, bloody minded! Cara is more laid back but I think that has more to do with her age and Mo's bouncing about will probably settle in the next year or so. Cara has black parents and grandparents but then the P&S comes into the mix. Mo's dad was P&S with an all P&S pedigree.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

After reading everybodys posts, I've come to the conclusion that the behaviour is more to do with lines/breeding than colours.
I would definatly have Luigi's pup if they're anything like him (kiss)
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

I agree it's lines and breeding, Ralphys got the mischief gene and so has George, they have the same mother and I see her little ways in both of them, even George already! They both do the "loving on" thing just like their Mam!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

Same mum? I thought the breeder didn't believe in mixing p/s and b/s?

Satu, you need to meet Charlie to see how different Luigis pups can be to him!
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Snazy wrote:Same mum? I thought the breeder didn't believe in mixing p/s and b/s?

Satu, you need to meet Charlie to see how different Luigis pups can be to him!
Who's got Charlie?
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
Sianny

Post by Sianny »

Snazy wrote:Same mum? I thought the breeder didn't believe in mixing p/s and b/s?

Jo, I'm not here to speak on the breeders behalf I was innocently commenting on characteristics so as you know the breeder I suggest you direct your question to them - I'm pretty sure you know the answer anyway so why do you ask?
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

well.......
Freya (white) is generally very quiet-def. the quietest of all my dogs VERY sweet and loving towards everyone-satu i think you'd like freya :)
Isla and Teddy freya's son and daughter are NOISY! Teddy is middle of the range and Isla is very noisy, very yappy and extrememly vocal in play.
Both my blacks Kolo and Ava are barky at noises and people in the street and Ruby was always quite noisy too. Sapphire (p/s) is noisy but her mum is pretty noisy so i think thats where she gets it from, she loves a good bark but she is often roo rooing at me around the house
I wish all my schnauzers were a s quiet as freya -apart from when she sings!
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

dannie_kl wrote:well.......
Freya (white) is generally very quiet-def. the quietest of all my dogs VERY sweet and loving towards everyone-satu i think you'd like freya :)
Isla and Teddy freya's son and daughter are NOISY! Teddy is middle of the range and Isla is very noisy, very yappy and extrememly vocal in play.
Both my blacks Kolo and Ava are barky at noises and people in the street and Ruby was always quite noisy too. Sapphire (p/s) is noisy but her mum is pretty noisy so i think thats where she gets it from, she loves a good bark but she is often roo rooing at me around the house

BUT...She loves to sing.....her mum and sister are quiet too. but Tilda does a little woooo woooo woooo
ImageBig dogs in little packages
Sianny

Post by Sianny »

Lol aww that's nice. Ralphy isn't so vocal but George is forever chatting away! George is very very forward and confident though but then again so is his Dad :)
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I have completely fallen in love with a Mini! There, I've said it..
I love Luigi's head rub, eeeeeeeeek, so cute!!
Off to find the cloning machine right now (dogrun)
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

-Shakespeare-
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ oh go on you know you want one! (giggle)

Stanley (p/s) is generally very quiet in the house...he never barks or 'talks' to us...he is noisy when 'intruders' come in though and outside he can be a flippin' pain in the neck at times...he is A LOT better on general walks, but take him to dog training classes and he is like a dog possessed..... (tuttut)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

miniforme wrote:
dannie_kl wrote:well.......

BUT...She loves to sing.....her mum and sister are quiet too. but Tilda does a little woooo woooo woooo
her singing....one day i need to capture this on video so people understand, it is so embarrassing i laugh! lol
Sianny

Post by Sianny »

pleeeease! I just love Freya and would love to hear her sing :P
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

riiseni wrote:I have completely fallen in love with a Mini! There, I've said it..
I love Luigi's head rub, eeeeeeeeek, so cute!!
Off to find the cloning machine right now (dogrun)
I don't blame you, he's a real darling :D
Wwhen I took his lead off, I said 'Sit Loui' and he just plonked right down and waited til I said 'Ok then, off you go', what a DARLING :D

Are you going to give him back :P