dry skin

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
Born: 0- 6-2015

dry skin

Post by Cam2 »

sammy is 5 months old, - he seems to have a little case of dry skin, causing "dandruff" on his black coat. He is well and healthy and it doesn't bother him, but I was wondering if there was something I could give him to help clear it up (bearing in mind his age) can anyone suggest anything?
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: dry skin

Post by Cat M »

Salmon oil or evening primrose oil is good for their skin and can be added to their food. :D
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

A weekly portion of oily fish would probably help too, something like tinned mackerel or sardines in oil or water (NOT brine).
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
bazzastephens
First Name: Barry
Dog #1: Toby
Born: 11 Jun 2012

Post by bazzastephens »

Toby suffered from a little dandruff and being jet black it was noticable, the vet said it was okay like cradle cap. I also read about oils are good for the coat so I chose that time to change his food to a fish based kibble, CSJ and we kive him tinned fish once or twice a month as a treat.

It has helped but he is now 8 months so he may of grown out of it.
Macy - X Lhaso Apso gone to Rainbow Bridge - March 2012
always in our hearts our little girl
pansie345

Post by pansie345 »

Hi I am not a new member have been registered some while now but having recently lost my beloved sam a salt and pepper and I have thrown my self in again and got charlie a black & silver who is now 11 weeks old. I have found the dry skin suggestion useful and will try them as charlie has a lot of white flecks and being black it shows up a lot. I am now faced with the dilemma of what flea treatments to use I found them very harsh on Sam anyone any suggestions on this?
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

I use Advocate as it protects against ear mites and worms (including lung worm) too. I do find that Lola's skin is a bit flaky a day or two after applying it....but I think it's better that she's protected.
So sorry to hear about Sam :ymhug: sounds like Charlie has big boots to fill. Can we have some pics of Charlie so that we can all ooooh and awwwww over him? :x