Forum Facebook page

Thought of something to make the forum better. Then please share. We welcome suggestions to improve the forum.
Tulip

Re: Forum Facebook page

Post by Tulip »

Since when was the forum exclusive? Sorry but if we're going to stop people looking at the forum unless they join up, surely that is cliquey? Some people may just not like contributing and that's ok, on here or on Facebook, you don't HAVE to contribute! No one has to post here or Facebook but it seems some people prefer Facebook so I don't see what the big problem is, nor do I like being told where to post about what...

As for cliquey, I must admit that I think the forum is very friendly and open to newcomers, everyone is always asking for pictures and about how people's Schnauzers are. I don't always want to post long replies especially when I've been doing it for the past almost four years and now I don't tend to as much.
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Wow, I missed this thread!

I think there is room for both. As has already been mentioned, I too think FB can be better (sometimes) for more informal comments and pictures...the downside is that information gets 'lost' on there very quickly due to the lack of structure, and trying to find info on a particular topic becomes hard! This is where the forum comes into its own, for example if tonight I decided I needed to find out as much as I could about other schnauzer owners experiences of comedone syndrome, i could probably generate lots of info in the space of a few seconds, which could be invaluable. The downside I find is that it is harder to post photos on here, and also perhaps people might not like my trivial comments about Stanley being sick, or taking up my pillow on the bed :)) All of which might have been more idly posted on FB.

Re when someone posts for advice, and someone else posts with a link to a previous thread - I have done this before, and in my mind I was doing it to be helpful and to point the poster towards a source of info that they may not have realised was there. I havent done it to make them think 'look we have discussed this before and cant be bothered to talk about it again'... but Ive never thought about it in that way until now, and it is something I take on board and try not to do!

Re the cliqueyness - I found this forum a bit cliquey when I joined, but now I think its pretty friendly and welcoming...more so than other forums I have been on in the past...At the end of the day any forum is only as good as its members, and ostracizing people isnt good for the long term continuity of the forum. Some people on FB dont want to come on here because they have heard it is unfriendly and judgemental, and I think that is a real shame....
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
snute2008
Puppy
First Name: Simon
Dog #1: Pip
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Sep 2008
Dog #2: Holly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Nov 2007

Post by snute2008 »

These are all really interesting comments and as I said in my post I think there is room for both posts.

There two really big advantages on Facebook, one is the ease with which you can post photos and two that you get notifications when replies are made.

It is possible with forum software to add the ability to post photos direct rather than link, and also to get an email when a reply is received to a topic.

This would make the forum appear a little more to new members rather than just being used by the same members all the time.

I like some others dont find it that friendly a place - sorry.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

snute2008 wrote:These are all really interesting comments and as I said in my post I think there is room for both posts.

There two really big advantages on Facebook, one is the ease with which you can post photos and two that you get notifications when replies are made.

It is possible with forum software to add the ability to post photos direct rather than link, and also to get an email when a reply is received to a topic.

This would make the forum appear a little more to new members rather than just being used by the same members all the time.

Sorry you don't find this a friendly place :( I just went to check your first post and see that you dived straight in. Good for you :-bd but if you had posted in the new members area you would have had a lot of people stopping by to say hi and to ask about your dogs ;) Probably all demanding photo's too =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

Sorry meant to also add in my ramblings that this Forum is moderated and those moderators have the ability to lock posts, remove anything that is offensive and basically keep us all in check (not that I'm saying we need it of course!!)

FB for me doesn't offer the same protection, we kind of self regulated in that horrible incident recently and as I've mentioned before, it was only the once and I hope we never have to intervene again.

I'm very much 'for' FB alongside this Forum but thought that worth mentioning as important to me

Sherri :D
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

I don't really understand how a web based forum is unfriendly ... Surely it is as friendly or interactive as you want it to be!!!

I don't see how Facebook can be a friendlier place than here when the moderators do a fab job of policing some discussions that sometimes get a little wayward =:) but normally it is just people's opinions that can come across differently on screen as opposed to a face to face comment!! I would say Facebook could be more at danger of misrepresentation as things can be misconstrued much easier on there!!!

I have never met anyone off here... But as you can see i'll quite happily ramble on in posts, i am a bog standard dog owner, i know nothing other than albert and barnaby, I take comments and advice as that.... And someone said on an earlier post there is normally something to suit your dog, your ways and your beliefs!!!!

I still stand by that there is room for both then everyone will be happy, those who like Facebook can just use that, those who like the forum use that and for people like me who love both :D use both!!!!!!!!

:-bd
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

snute2008 wrote:These are all really interesting comments and as I said in my post I think there is room for both posts.

It is possible with forum software to add the ability to post photos direct rather than link, and also to get an email when a reply is received to a topic

In the user control panel, it is possible to set yourself so that you get notifications to posts I believe.

I find it odd myself that some (although I think probably a small minority) don't find it a friendly forum, some I've been on are bear pits and people regularly have online spats and arguments get out of hand very swiftly b-( now those are intimidating places ;)

Here there are usually events or walks being suggested somewhere with open invitations to all forum members to join, advice on a range of topics is shared openly on a daily basis, comfort and support is given freely, congratulations flow when members dogs do something in the show world or litters are born, homes are found and offered to many dogs who through whatever reason need them, soooooo many examples of where this is a friendly forum. And my view is I get out of the forum more than I put in, if people find it cliquey or lacking banter, why not join in, add to the banter that is here, if its found to be too formal for some, those that want lighter, lighten it, get involved.

I do understand that if a new member puts a question on the forum that doesnt get answered that may be discouraging, but I would suggest that would be pretty unusual and is more likely to be unfortunately timed posts, as in maybe people away, or busy at that time or just not keeping up with the forum, or not having anything useful to say, especially if the request for help or information relates to something serious.

I have more than once posted things I think may be interesting and never got a reply, I don't take it as a sign of an unfriendly forum, more that either the topic isnt as interesting to others as me (which is completely fine, we all have our own interests) or it just gets overlooked, if I was bothered, I'd bump it up.

Now, can anyone tell me when you would use this one :-T
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Time out!! When the discussions get heated!
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

jaegervalder wrote:Time out!! When the discussions get heated!
Haha, no wonder I never knew that, not a concept Im familiar with =))
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I believe there is room for both, I joined the forum way back in 2006/07 I think and have made many great friends on here, I also point any schnauzer owners or prospective schnauzer owners in this direction. It is a wondeful source of information and advice too. In fact if it wasn't for the forum 'the Riverbankers' wouldn't have been formed, we wouldn't have had a 4 page article written about us in Your Dog and I wouldn't have met and become friends with Mia's breeder and Mia wouldn't be sharing my life. The forum is a place I visit if I have more time whereas I can pop onto the FB page and it is much more informal and chatty. Facebook is a way of keeping in touch while the Forum community is ever changing as new members join looking for information and more experienced members not visiting so frequently. In the early days I used to be able to keep up daily with every new post whereas now I have to be more selective or I would by on here 24/7 due to the sheer volume of posts. I would like to thank all the administrators over the time I've been a member for making the forum a good place to be - not an easy task.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
JillyB
First Name: Jacks
Dog #1: Jess
Born: 06 Jul 2012

Post by JillyB »

Haha I didn't even realise there Was a Facebook page! I just assumed you all "knew" each other on Facebook independently when you referred to things like "I've put these pictures on FB but thought I'd post them here too" etc etc.
TBH I've found this forum Really welcoming and interesting... lots and lots of advice and I've even recently bought my own clippers to have a go at grooming Jess myself.... haven't had the courage to start yet though...! =))
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Hi All

Thanks for your input on this rather 'thorny' issue. I have had a look at the various suggestions, ideas and preferences that have been raised.

At the moment it is not possible to re-name the Facebook group to something like Schnauzer Chat or similar. Also, I don't think it is reasonable to dictate to people what they can post where. People need to decide whether they want to contribute to the forum or whether they want to contribute to Facebook. That is their decision.

Having thought about it and watched the interaction over the last few weeks since posting the original question, it is clear that Facebook is superseding the Forum and more and more people are posting there and less here. A good comparison was the Annual Schnauzer Walk photo's. Last year there were loads of topics with pictures on the day of the walk. This year there wasn't a single thread until I posted last night and a few other people prompted those posting on Facebook to post here too.

I am of the opinion that the Facebook Schnauzer Group exists because of the main Forum. When people google Schnauzer Forum, the main site comes up, then people discover there is a Facebook group for the forum and migrate across there. So, the main site becomes quieter and quieter and will eventually disappear. I don't want to lose this valuable resource or be responsible for that loss.

To that end, I have de-merged the two entities and there will no longer be an active Schnauzer Forum on Facebook. The existing Facebook group will be locked and used as it was intended originally. Those that stay in the group will get info about outages, changes, etc. I realise that people will go off and set up on their own and this is to be expected. There are literally dozens of schnauzer groups on Facebook and I am sure everyone will find a happy home. But I want to bring the forum back to the forum, or risk losing it altogether.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me on this, but that is to be expected too. I would ask that you consider this change on its merit and try understand why the decision has been taken. To those of you that will leave because of the change, I am sorry, but it has to be. Hopefully, we can get some of the banter back on here and you will return after a while. I also realise that a lot of the Facebook group won't see this post, as they are not even members here.

Over the next few weeks, I will be looking at how we post photo's to see whether I can make it easier and am also moving to a new server to make things faster.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Post by Robert Lockwood »

Whilst I don't agree with the facebook page closing i can in a small way understand why.... can you please let us all know when you are thinking of shutting it ?
Thanks.
BeeBee

Post by BeeBee »

I was listening to a radio programme recently about bookshops and online retailers and how they are killing the bookshops. A bookseller said that she tells her customers who come in, pick her brains, ask for advice and recommendations and then go off & buy cheap online that she won't be there next time for her advice if they don't support her. It struck me when I heard it that an analogy for the forum and facebook could be made. People like it here for the depth of conversation, the advice and support, and like facebook for the quick dip, chat, banter etc that it's renowned for. Depth of advice is not found on facebook groups.

So, if the forum isn't used, one day it won't be here for those who want to make use of the years of accumulated knowledge it holds and happily shares.

You're not going to please everyone, ever.
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

I'm happy just to have somewhere to share my schnauzeritis!!! I've tried hard to use both but have found things a little QT over here....

Either way I am happy to go with the flow... and I think you are all fab and doing a blimin hard job for little or no recognition !!! so I hope noone does leave or disappear from the forum as at the end of the day... It's all about the schnauzers!!!!! :D
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/