Toileting advice please

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Gina

Toileting advice please

Post by Gina »

Morning All. I know that, so far, I have been pretty lucky with Iola and her toileting - her trigger times for poos are when she gets up in the morning and after meals and she does all of her business in the garden. It is early days yet but she seems to prefer to go in the garden rather than when we are out and about but that could (and probably will) change.

The problem we have is that if she misses out on a poo I have to watch her like a hawk and when she starts sniffing and circling in the house I have to quickly run her outside. She will sometimes sit on the back door mat (I'm telepathic of course) if she wants a wee but not for the other. So my question is - does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach a pup to ask to go outside please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Audrey
Puppy
First Name: Audrey
Dog #1: Jock
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 15 Mar 2013

Re: Toileting advice please

Post by Audrey »

I've read that if you can get the dog in the car or carry him/her and as far away from the house as possible first thing in the morning (as quick as possible) and walk the dog until it does all of it's business then it will learn that he or she can do the business anywhere else but the garden. We were lucky as we have a touring caravan and went away for a few days just as Jock was ready to go out into the big world for his "business trips" it got him away from his own environment and he learned pretty quickly that's its great having nice places to get to know. I hope this helps/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Rodders didn't ask to go out until he was almost 9 months old. He would sit on the back door mat out of sight so I too needed to be telepathic =)) He gradually learnt to bark, but started with a few low grumbles that you couldn't hear if the TV was on & then worked up from there eventually.

Creggan has been vocal from a tiny pup (just ask his breeder =)) ) and there was never any doubt about when he wanted out ;) I have always had a string of bells hanging off the back door & he very quickly learnt to jump up and bash them. This is great as a ringing bell is far better than the squealing he can do :ymdevil:

They will both wee in the garden but that is all. Rodders stopped doing anything else out there when he was about 6 months old and Creggan very quickly followed his lead. Personally I think it is a ploy to ensure they get at least two walks a day ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Gina

Post by Gina »

Funny you should say that about the caravan - she is on her first holiday and the first day she hung on until we got back to the van. The second day when she got up I took her straight from the van, into the car and a walk by the estuary - success :) now she poos with great abandon - be interesting to see what happens when we go home.
She's been wonderful company and I can't imagine life without her and I've only had her such a short time. She's had such fun exploring and taking everything in - the plants are all salty, cars go on the water and the spiders are bigger and run sideways :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk