Wanting your opinion

Found a nice dog coat? Found a cozy pub that's Schnauzer friendly or even a Schnauzer friendly B&B. Feel free to share it here. Basically anything that we would want to buy for our Schnauzer goes here.
wifeofjp
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Wilf
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Jul 2013
Dog #2: Olive
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 30 Apr 2015

Wanting your opinion

Post by wifeofjp »

Hi, am looking for some feedback on an idea I have, and thought you guys may be willing to give your opinions.

Since we've had Wilf we've struggled to find other dogs he can play with - we meet lots of dogs out and about but it's rare that we find people and pups who are around and willing to spend some time playing (the pups not the people - although have not asked the people to play!). I don't think it's a lack of willingness to play/hang out, but that timings and age/gender/temperament of dogs (and people) haven't matched. I have now found a few people to try playdates with, but it's through friends of friends and has taken a while.

Was therefore thinking of setting up a website (OH is web developer) which helps people and their dogs find others in the local area to meet up with. Sort of like a dating site, but for dog playmates (not mates!). Would probably be aimed initially at those with puppies, or people who've moved to a new area and don't know many people. Would also look to include directories of dog friendly shops/cafes/pubs and other related content, but the core would be putting people in touch. Before we spend a lot of time and energy on it, was wondering if others had found similar issues, and whether you feel this would or could be useful (depending on your circumstances). I know there are a few sites in the States that provide something similar, but wondering if there would be a UK audience.

I would really appreciate your thoughts/feelings about this, so any comments most welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :-)
https://www.facebook.com/misterpicklesthedog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: Wanting your opinion

Post by Nika C »

I like the idea, I think it would be especially useful to those bringing home new pups or those entirely new to dog ownership who aren't sure where to start.
It would be good if you can set the miles radius you can search within, for people like me who don't drive, I either need someone really close or can meet me somewhere easy to walk or bus to.
I think your biggest problem would be getting yourself known, how do you plan to get your website known and talked about? Social media? Affiliations with other dog related websites? Even though you're looking at a Web based idea I think you would still need to make a small leaflet of some description (I know people local to us who could help with this if you PM me) that you could send to vets up and down the country to put on their notice boards and include in information given out at puppy parties ( the one we went to we got LOADS of samples, fliers and information).
On an aside, now I have wrapped up my business and just doing day job, I'm free most afternoons for puppy playdates if you're up for it - as long as it's somewhere we can bus to :)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
wifeofjp

Post by wifeofjp »

Hi Nika

Thanks for the feedback - yes would be searchable by distance and a whole host of other criteria - and contact information only shared if both parties "like" the match.

Marketing would be the next concern - and agree a mix of online and offline would be needed.

Will PM later about a meet up :-)

Lou
https://www.facebook.com/misterpicklesthedog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nutmeg
First Name: Doreen
Dog #1: Meg
Born: 25 May 2011
Dog #2: Tara
Born: 25 Apr 2013

Post by nutmeg »

That sounds like a great idea. The advice with puppies is to let them meet friendly well mannered dogs. Well how do you do that if you do not know any. We have been lucky enough to make up a regular dog walking group by meeting through the forum. Your web site idea sounds really good
nessclair
First Name: Vanessa
Dog #1: Monty
Born: 21 Sep 2010

Post by nessclair »

Our vets do weekly puppy parties, so plenty of meet ups already for that. However, I would have loved to meet someone with a "stooge" dog for Monty to go out walking with, particularly when I first got him, to help get over his nervousness with other dogs.
Ness and Monty (S/P mini born 21.9.10 rehomed with me 13.8.11)
wifeofjp

Post by wifeofjp »

Thanks for the feedback. Would you have any concerns about meeting someone you met online through this sort of service? Would expect people to arrange their own meet-ups, but would give some basic do's and don'ts.

:-)
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

I wouldn't mind too much about that as long as we were meeting in a public place, that's well known and not too secluded, I'm sure that's obvious to most people bit you get the odd few who haven't had experiences to teach them otherwise ;)
I suppose that would be in the guidelines though?

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
nutmeg
First Name: Doreen
Dog #1: Meg
Born: 25 May 2011
Dog #2: Tara
Born: 25 Apr 2013

Post by nutmeg »

We met up with lottie and her ma, about a year ago for the first time. In retrospect it might have seemed strange meeting some one you do not know in a car park with just a dog and lead for identification. But it was day time in a public place and we clearly both had schnauzers. We have walked regularly ever since and have actually increased the size of the group.it has been great for all of the dogs and we have enjoyed some really great walks.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Yep, think it's a good idea in principle...no idea what problems there might be. Have you looked at the BorrowMyDoggy to get ideas, it's a new thing I think that's had quite a bit of recent press. It's not the same as you want to do, but it may give you ideas for your own idea.
http://www.borrowmydoggy.com/about
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I have an App called MyDog that lists dog friendly places, you may want a look at that ;)

Our vets did puppy parties and I started my two at training classes quite early. I have also tried to get to as many schnauzer walks as I can, some times travelling a couple of hours but I would quite like a regular walking group in different places.

We also have the 5 o'clock club where a gang of us meet on the local field every day. I found at by accident that there is a 6 o'clock club in another local park.

But it is daunting having a new pup or an older one with issues so it would be great to be able to find other owners that could help :D
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
wifeofjp

Post by wifeofjp »

Thanks for the thoughts - Borrowmydog is very nicely done - may have to sign up for that esp as OH is going into full time employment soon! :-)

Could look to build an option for group walks - on the development plan.......