Holding bones for pup to eat?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Flintish
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Flint
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2014

Holding bones for pup to eat?

Post by Flintish »

I have a 10 week old puppy who I have just introduced to raw chicken wing tips. I have been holding the tip while he chews it as they would fit in his mouth whole and I feel that with the enthusiasm he has he'd try to swallow it whole if I didn't hold it. Is it normal to hold raw bones while feeding them though? I know my mum holds onto whole chicken wings while her younger Westie crunches through them as otherwise he'd eat it ridiculously fast. The older Westie on the other-hand can be trusted to eat his sensibly on his own.
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Re: Holding bones for pup to eat?

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

I held Torsten's wings and ribs for him when he was small. i held onto them till i felt i could trust him :) he's been fine with them the last 3 months :)

wifeofjp
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Wilf
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Jul 2013
Dog #2: Olive
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 30 Apr 2015

Post by wifeofjp »

Never fed Wilf chicken/ribs, as don't like idea of raw meat on my carpets. If you don't hold them how do you "contain" them in the house or do you only feed them outside? And would you hold them if introducing them to an older pup? (Sorry for butting in on this question/thread, but hopefully still relevant).
https://www.facebook.com/misterpicklesthedog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Never apologise for asking questions ;)

I usually feed my two bones and chicken wings outside, if I can't because of the weather they are very good at eating them on mats which can be thrown in the washing machine or in the kitchen where I can mop the floor. I have laminate floors downstairs so it isn't the end of the world if they stray though ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Twinkle has swallowed many a chicken wing whole...scaring the life out of me at first...but from what I understand once down the gullet the stomach will cope fine with it, which seems to be the case as we've no problems. Now, she is a bit calmer we have less of it a d she chews but they still seem to swallowed whole, just chewed up whole.

We used to hold Renae's as a pup as she was fussy and would faff about too much walking round the house.

Hygiene issues we deal with by either feeding outside, or I have table-cloth/sheets I put down that they feed off.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Bran has had wing tips almost since he came home at 8 weeks, I think I did hold it the first few times but only because he didn't know really what to do with it, not because I wanted to control how he ate it. Once he got the idea, obviously we watch him, he never has them unsupervised, but he can eat it however he feels happy eating as far as I'm concerned :)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

if the weather is nice he has them outside, if not he has them in the kitchen and i close the door to the rest of the house. then wash the floor. I've just brought a steam mop to make cleaning up after him easier, as we have a kitchen diner and he eats his whilst we prepare our dinner so its much easier to clean up his mess.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I feed my three in their crates, they each know which one is theirs and run right into the correct crate when I get the bags out of the freezer. I push the doors too to stop Molly eating the schnauzers dinner and they can get out when finished. Dinner is always followed by much crate swopping to check if anyone has left anything. I then change the blankets and wash the dirty blankets every day because of the heat. Otherwise I would change the blankets every day but only wash every other.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Moustache_dog
First Name: Jennifer
Dog #1: Bertie
Born: 12 May 2012
Dog #2: Casper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 07 Apr 2013
Dog #3: Mabel
Born: 20 Aug 2021
is a: White Mini Bitch

Post by Moustache_dog »

We are weather dependent too with bones, necks & chicken/duck wings being chomped outside. If they have to be inside then Bertie eats in the kitchen which we steam mop and Casper goes on the rug in the dining room to eat which is then washed. They need to be separated or Casper won't allow Bertie to eat. We held chicken wings for both of them when they were very little but they soon managed by themselves :)
Bertie B-ram - the biggest character, left far too soon (12/05/12 - 20/05/21),
Casper & Mabel - our little white maniacs