BARF on the move

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
ediefied
Puppy
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 02 Jun 2013

BARF on the move

Post by ediefied »

Morning,

Having successfully moved Edie onto Nutriment, we're going away for a week to visit friends and am wondering what people do when they're not at home and don't have access to a freezer. I'm guessing it would be complete trays/canned food?

I paid a visit to my local pet shop and have a choice between Lily's Kitchen, Nature's Menu cans or trays, or a company called Billy + Margot which I've never heard of, although on paper it looks pretty good.

http://www.billyandmargot.com/products/ ... dult-dogs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All advice gratefully received!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: BARF on the move

Post by Maty »

I managed a camping trip (3 days, 2 nights) and a family visit, using a cool box and ice blocks without too much trouble.

I also did a week away using local butchers daily for wings, ribs etc.

But if I couldn't continue BARFing I would probably feed the Naturediet Trays as Rodders has had it before and was OK on it ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I would have thought any of the three brands you have mentioned would be fine for a temporary holiday. If Edie is used to grain free food probably best to stay with grain free - not sure if all Lily's Kitchen are?

We also trialled a dog food from a local company to us Pure Pet food which produces dehydrated food from fresh vegetables and human grade meat which just needs rehydrating before serving. Our dogs loved the samples we were given to try although they didn't look amazing to me :) but then I wasn't eating them. I think I did a review of it on the Forum at the time with pics.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14929&p=220251&hilit=Pure+pet+food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…#p220251

http://www.purepetfood.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However if you are staying with friends I would think you want as little fuss as possible round feeding and tins or trays sound the better option if you can't feed raw.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Salomon
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Gaspard
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 03 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Diego
Born: 10 May 2013

Post by Salomon »

We have 2 12v freezers that we can plug into either car or camper. One small one , one huge one. The huge one can take 50kg of green tripe :ymsick:
We also use Platinum prepared food which they like. And we always have a pot of good quality kibble ( Origen or Platinum) for long trips and emergency use.
ediefied
Puppy
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Edie
Born: 02 Jun 2013

Post by ediefied »

Yeah - the less fuss the better really. I probably should have mentioned they have a new(ish) baby and don't want the raise the issue of raw food floating around, especially with the beard!

I've never actually fed tinned/wet food at all so maybe just buying one of each and trialling them is the way to go. Looks like a choice between Natures Menu and Billy + Margot - both appear to be grain free.

The Pure Pet Food looks interesting - have ordered a sample to see how it goes.

On another note - the feeding guides seem to suggest she should get almost double the amount of Nutriment she gets - usually somewhere around 100g/meal. Any idea why this might be?

I'm not looking forward to the reduced meals after we get back - lots of empty tummies and floor scrounging!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I was planning on using Nature menu dry raw food while we're away its a bit pricey for everyday food but fine for holiday. No messy wet beards while in somebody elses house :))
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Menu-Ve ... e+menu+dry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

I've used Nature's Menu pouches when camping. In May though I for some unbeknown reason to myself decided to buy a bag of Lilly's Kitchen kibble for the camping w/e - the girls had pretty voluminous, loose output and I won't do that again!
Frozen chicken wings in a cool bag work for a couple of nights away.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

ediefied wrote:
On another note - the feeding guides seem to suggest she should get almost double the amount of Nutriment she gets - usually somewhere around 100g/meal. Any idea why this might be?

I'm not looking forward to the reduced meals after we get back - lots of empty tummies and floor scrounging!
We feed Nutriment to our dogs and the amounts are adjusted depending on how much they seem to need. For an adult mini the general rule is between 2% and 3 % of their body weight but sone dogs do burn off the calories with nervous energy or physical exercise and metabolism may vary according to genetics too possibly. We have three minis - the eldest is very laid back, tends to potter on a walk rather than run and is on 2% of her weight - any more and she will start to gain weight. Her daughter Trilby is full of nervous energy , walks fast and plays hard with her puppy ( our youngest ) - Trilby has a good 3% and maybe more of her weight and does not gain weight easily at all. The puppy is on about 6% currently at just under five months. In actual gms - Trilby at 7 kg is on 110 g twice a day ; her mother (6.5 kg) 65g twice a day and the puppy 85g three times a day.

I don't know if this helps at all :) I would always use the guidelines as a rough estimate and adjust as to how Edie is developing on it. If she is at her ideal weight and maintaining it then I would stick to what you are feeding, if she is losing or gaining weight then add or reduce as appropriate. It can also depend on how many treats and extras are being fed :D
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/