Lost interest in chicken wings

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Bon-bon
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Bonnie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 18 Feb 2013

Lost interest in chicken wings

Post by Bon-bon »

Until the end of January this year Bonnie would happily tuck into chicken wings for breakfast. She then went off her food which, although not immediately apparent as she remained fit and active, heralded a diagnosis of pancreatitis. Pending her recovery, she was on a bland diet of (cooked) chicken & rice/pasta.

I reintroduced normal food (combination of raw for breakfast and kibble in the evening) but delayed re-introducing chicken wings for a number of reasons and only re-stocked on Saturday. However, instead of an enthusiastic welcome from Bonnie yesterday morning she completely rejected it. I initially tried giving before her raw nugget breakfast but when this failed tried again afterwards (I’m sure she would have eaten more raw nuggets if I gave her the chance so I don't think she was too full).

I then offered at various times later in the day but still no interest so tried again this morning, this time removing most of the skin and cutting little bits of flesh so she could nibble at it. I also tried feeding in various locations: on the lawn (where previously eaten) and in a bowl, both outside and indoors but all to no avail – she picked up the little bits of flesh but after fiddling with them for a few seconds abandoned them. She’s happily eating everything else I’m currently giving so not a general loss of appetite as was the case before.

With space short in the freezer and the family preferring breasts or thighs to wings, I’m not thrilled at the prospect of a load of chicken wings taking up valuable freezer space. I’m wondering if she remembers the fact that when she was ill I was cooking her chicken and that is what she’s expecting me to do now?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: Lost interest in chicken wings

Post by Nika C »

There's a few things Bran won't touch now since his illness too, lamb being one of them, duck and pheasant also seem to be off the menu for now.
I think they remember the things that were around them when they were poorly. I'm hoping to try and reintroduce them at a later stage but I'm not going to hold my breath!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney has never been a chewer of things. When he has chicken wings / chicken carcass he just looks at it as if its just too much hassle to eat. If I didn't pick it up and hold it while he chewed I don't think he'd eat them =)) Duck neck he had couple of chomps and gave up on several occasions. Thick pizzles he'll have little chews on for weeks. Maybe she cant be bothered like Barney :-\
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

Dawnspell wrote:Maybe she cant be bothered like Barney
That could be an explanation if she'd never eaten them but in her case she happily used to chomp her way through before she was ill. Perhaps she's just got lazy :(
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Bon-bon wrote:
Dawnspell wrote:Maybe she cant be bothered like Barney
That could be an explanation if she'd never eaten them but in her case she happily used to chomp her way through before she was ill. Perhaps she's just got lazy :(
Thinking back when I first introduced Barney to chicken wings when he was on kibble he was happy to eat them. Its only since he has been on full barf with occasional kibble meal that wings and carcass are out of favour. I guess he's decided homemade barf meals are tastiest since he will turn his nose up as Natures Menu nuggets as well.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

Dawnspell wrote:Its only since he has been on full barf with occasional kibble meal that wings and carcass are out of favour.
That's interesting. I was planning to supplement the frozen nuggets with the chicken wings to increase the % raw to kibble both for variety and to add bone conent for dental care.

I hope she doesn't intend to go off the nuggets any time soon - I don't think I'll be very popular at home if I go down the homemade BARF route and spend more time making her dinner than I do for the rest of the family ! As it is I have to share meal prep with my husband as he's at home more than I am :(
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I don't mind holding his bones because I want the dental benefits especially after the vet said he had nice clean teeth this morning at his health check \:D/
I think he would still be fine with the nuggets if he'd never had the homemade :)) He's spoilt =)) If hubby complains about me spending time doing Barneys food he'll get told to start doing his own since he doesn't do anything in the food prep dept =))
Our first family dog
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

Chicken wings could be back on the menu again - having given up back in April, I came across a bag of unused wings in the freezer so decided I would give it another go and this time she happily munched her way through it with minimal persuasion :)

However, as we're about to go on holiday again, think I will save the rest until our return as I don't think my son and daughter will be very enthusiastic about the idea of the daily chicken wing ritual - I'm just grateful they're willing to deal with her raw nugget breakfast meals.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Rodders is quite funny, he doesn't like the same thing day in, day out, which is what led us away from kibble in the first place. If I give him the same thing each day he would be bored so maybe that is the problem with Bonnie?

We have chicken wings/necks/carcass, heart, lamb ribs, in the freezer and they are never sure what will come out next.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
the valkyrie
First Name: Cyndie

Post by the valkyrie »

Although Finn has been fed raw since the day we brought him home at 8 weeks old,
it has always been a struggle to get him to eat. I have a freezer which just contains
his food and a starter pack from Nutriments for the puppy who will be here at the
beginning of August. I waste so much food as once it is defrosted, if he doesn't eat it,
it is thrown out. I am hoping that if Finn sees the puppy eating the Nutriments food
he might try it too.
What do you give yours in your home made meals ?
I even, in desperation bought bag of Orijen which of course he refused point blank.
I just hope the puppy will be easier to feed.
Our darling Cassie-too born 11.1.2006 left us 1.6. 2012.
Miss you every day little girl xx
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Cyndie, Rodders hates Nutriment as it is too mushy :( We moved to Wolftucker which is much more mince like.

Creggan would eat anything =)) And he has helped to make Rodders eat a bit better too ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

Bon-bon wrote:.... However, as we're about to go on holiday again, think I will save the rest until our return as I don't think my son and daughter will be very enthusiastic about the idea of the daily chicken wing ritual - I'm just grateful they're willing to deal with her raw nugget breakfast meals.
Well how wrong I am: Having just returned from holiday last night it seems I hadn't portioned enough nugget meals so they ran out. Apparently for the last couple of days Bonnie has been happily tucking into a breakfast of raw chicken wings garnished with finely diced frankfurter cubes (intended as training treats !) :)