Pure Neem Oil...How to apply??

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Al T

Pure Neem Oil...How to apply??

Post by Al T »

Hi,
Can anyone advise please...we've bought some 'pure neem oil' off eBay for Ruby's itchy spots.....It's advised to use it in conjunction with another sort of 'carrier oil' to dilute it...
We were thinking of olive oil but don't want her to ingest any, plus there's no guideline as to how much to dilute the neem oil..
Can anyone advise?
Thanks in advance..
Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
zjg3
First Name: Zoe
Dog #1: Basil
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Percy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 19 Oct 2015

Re: Pure Neem Oil...How to apply??

Post by zjg3 »

I found this site useful regarding fleas etc. Have a read and see if it helps you

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-for-dogs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope there is someone with more help soon.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney is suffering with harvest mites on his back feet and all on his front legs. I've been using 2drops neem oil in 10ml of grape seed oil its not as sticky as olive oil. Its not stopped him biting his itches though. I was using it more for its repellent qualities.
Whats causing Rubys itching ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

I have used Neem Oil shampoo on the dogs as we have a bad harvest mite infestation again this year. Nothing seems to repell the mites. The dogs are all itchy and have sore patches :(
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney has ended up nibbling off his fur and got the start of sores. I've been washing him with hibiscrub to stop infection.
The itching comes from the dog reacting to the saliva of the mite larva. I decided to get the Frontline spray the vet offered to kill them, no saliva, no itching. We're going away next week I didn't think anyones house we go to would appreciate me telling them he's got mites if they ask about his sores and lack of furnishings =)) Some people are funny like that =))
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

Hope Barney gets some relief with the Frontline Spray, it certainly helps but our dogs seem to get so many mites that it is difficult keeping up with it all. The spray doesn't repell them, it only helps get rid of them and the vet said I still need to scrape them off, which gives the dogs sore patches :(

Have to say, I have had the mites attach themselves to me when I have been out gardening and they really hurt, I sympathise with the dogs having to suffer with them.

I love the Summer months but when the harvest mites take hold, I start looking forward to the first frost.

Hope you have a good trip away and I wouldn't tell anyone about the mites :)
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes the vet said the spray just kills. I'm hoping the neem helps prevent others attaching in the meantime so we're not taking extra visitors with us =))
Our first family dog