What age for BARF?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
wee_red
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Watson
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 02 Oct 2013

What age for BARF?

Post by wee_red »

We will be bringing Watson home 2 weeks on Sat, he will be 9 weeks old. Ideally we'd like to BARF from the start. Our breeder feeds his dogs RAW but not the puppies as he has found that not everyone wants to fed RAW and its tricky for the puppies to go to dry from RAW....I wonder why ;)

So, what's the best way/time to switch him over? Obviously he will have a lot going on with leaving his litter mates and his mum so we don't want to overwhelm him but we are keen to get him going as soon as we can. Any hints for the best way to do it?

TIA
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: What age for BARF?

Post by Dawnspell »

Have you tried asking the breeder to switch him over now before he comes to you ? Less for you to think about :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Hollypops
First Name: Ruth
Dog #1: Holly
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 27 Mar 2013

Post by Hollypops »

I'm with asking the breeder too :D if they are already doing it for the adults it shouldn't be a problem to do for a pup too.
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

i agree speak to the breeder, Torsten will be switching to BARF on Saturday, when he's been with us a week. i'd have him on it now, but his poo is still a little loose. he'll be 9 weeks on friday
wee_red
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Watson
Born: 02 Oct 2013

Post by wee_red »

Will ask the breeder when we phone him on Fri. The puppies are having their eye test done then....
Thanks
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Creggan's breeder also feeds raw & weaned the puppies straight on to it, then they switched to kibble as they knew some pups would be fed that once they went home. Creggan wasn't ever so happy on it & as they knew I was going to raw feed they put him back on to it :D
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
jeanjune1+
First Name: June

Post by jeanjune1+ »

Hi, am considering BARF, my little girl, Holly, is 10 years old, I have always tried to feed her a varied diet, but the meat I have provided previously has mostly been cooked! I dont want to do anything that may make her ill, Does anyone have any advice with regard to changing her over to a more raw diet?

Thank you x
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

jeanjune1+ wrote:Hi, am considering BARF, my little girl, Holly, is 10 years old, I have always tried to feed her a varied diet, but the meat I have provided previously has mostly been cooked! I dont want to do anything that may make her ill, Does anyone have any advice with regard to changing her over to a more raw diet?

Thank you x
Welcome to the Forum :)

We moved our dogs to raw after One of our pups would eat nothing else and we did not have any issues in moving the older mini schnauzers straight from kibble to raw which was really a greater jump than from cooked food to raw. We had previously offered them a raw chicken wing tentatively and were amazed to see them crunch it up no problem. The oldest would have been 12 years old at that time. We moved from raw minced meat and chicken wings to using the Natural Instinct complete raw food when that came out but now feed our dogs Nutriment complete. They do have a ' senior' version with slightly less percentage of meat than the usual adult versions.

http://www.nutriment.co/senior-formula-adult/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However if you would rather try Holly with something simpler to start with then chicken is generally the best tolerated meat for most dogs. If you don't think she will grab and swallow a chicken wing whole ( as one of our younger schnauzers is liable to) then you could try her with that as a starter. If you would rather not risk the bones initially then any minced raw meat mixed with raw vegetables should be fine. The vegetables are best puréed as they are not easily digested by dogs and some people feed only meat for that reason. I think if you have been home preparing Holly's food then it may just be a question of using the same ingredients but uncooked. The general recommendation for adult dogs is 80% meat to 20% vegetables although 70-75% meat is probably better for an older dog.

If you would feel more confident using a commercially prepared complete meal, I would recommend any one of the ready prepared raw food companies: Natural Instinct, Nutriment, Wolf Tucker or Honeys. These are all well established companies producing good quality raw meals for dogs and I am sure all will be helpful if you contact them regarding Holly. I believe Honeys can make up meals based on your own dog's needs if required :)

I hope this helps and I am sure other raw feeders will be able to offer their experiences too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/