Looking for a black standard schnauzer puppy

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
5_o_clock_tea
First Name: Adeline
Dog #1: Watson
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 16 Apr 2015

Looking for a black standard schnauzer puppy

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

Hello there!

We're a couple in their early thirties looking to get a schnauzer, preferably standard & black but no preference on gender.
We've been looking for the right breed during the past months, and the schnauzer seems to be the right fit as we are pretty active (walk wise) and have no kids yet so plenty of time to train a pup (we've also read a couple of books on the subject and watched countless videos...).

We like the standard as it is the right size for us, but are not against the idea of a miniature. Funnily enough my parents had a black miniature when I was young so one of us two already has a bit of "experience" with the breed.

Also, are there any noticeable difference between miniature and standard, boy or girl? We believe it is down to each dog, but some of you might have an opinion? :D

We've started to make a list of breeders from the KC and Champdogs, and also emailed the Schnauzer Club of GB, but if any of you would be kind enough to recommend us some breeders via PM, that would be greatly appreciated. :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Re: Looking for a black standard schnauzer puppy

Post by BeeBee »

From my limited knowledge, there is a lot of difference between miniatures and standard schnauzers. I used to think the 3 sizes were all just smaller or larger versions of the same, but being here over the years has taught me that this is very far from accurate.

There are a few standards on here and one thing that seems pretty common is that they are highly active and require lots of excellent training (as does any dog to be happy, but I think with standards it's an absolute must in order to avoid significant problems as they hit adolescence and beyond).

Good luck finding a breeder, that is a minefield in itself and I would only say, be prepared for it to take time and to travel for the right breeder.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

Thanks BeeBee!

There is a breeder not too far away from us (we're in sunny Sussex) that does both mini and standard, so we might pay her a visit to see both next to each other and hear what she has to say as well. We're not in a rush to find the right breeder, so it's all good there.

We've had two fox terriers in the family, and I see the standard schnauzer as a more compliant version of those when it comes to being a bit stubborn :)
Energy wise we have plenty of time to dedicate to the dog, so I don't foresee any issue there with the standard. Having said that, the miniature schnauzer my parents had could go hiking in the mountain for 7 hours and not being tired at all, this has always amazed me!

Been broswing the forum with regards to food, insurance, etc.
We made our researchs but it is awlays nice to complement them with all the information available here. Thanks to you all!

PS: we like what you did with your dog, BeeBee. As first time dog owners we have been strongly advised by other owners to go for a puppy before thinking about rescuing a dog... hence why we are here today :)
stacyr

Post by stacyr »

Hi, I've got a standard and a mini and they are completely different. You do have to have firm training with the standards but once you get that they are beautiful dogs. My ozzie is a nutcase, likes to guard the house a lot, has no co-ordination sometimes, but is very easily trainable, you do have to keep on top of it though and let him know who is in charge, but it is well worth it. He is quite boisterous too, I myself don't play with him because he is too rough for me but he's good for the men who like a rough and tumble. Good luck in your search too
Stacy
P/S Mini - Charlie; Black Standard - Ozzie
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

Been reading a lot about breeders and it really is a minefield indeed!

I'm sad to read many bad stories about puppy farming, it seems it is becoming harder and harder to see through. However I have compiled a lot of information and what to observe and ask for when visiting a breeder, but I have two questions for the experts:
- Is putting down a deposit a normal thing to be asked?
- We have received a list of breeders from the Schnauzer Club of GB, I guess it is a safeguard and you can cross-check it with the KC list, but it can't be 100% trusted either?

Anyway, thanks all for all the tips we found on here, we'll take our time in our 'quest' to find the right breeder and puppy. \:D/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hi and welcome :-h

Great you are doing your research :-bd

From my limited experience of standards they do seem to be a one person dog and do need a firm hand. Mini's are a big dog in a smaller body and once fully grown can take as much or as little exercise as you like.

You won't have much problem with puppy farmers with a standard as they are much harder to find, but it is a minefield with mini's :(

I would be checking Champdogs too but also make sure any breeder is an Assured KC Breeder as they now have to cope with inspections and reach certain standards.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Only the brave
Puppy
First Name: Sophie
Dog #1: Diesel
Born: 28 Nov 2012

Post by Only the brave »

Hi. We have a lovely black Standard. He was bred by * * ( * ). She blew us away as a breeder - the time, effort and care she puts into the puppies while they are with her are second to none. She acclimatises the puppies to many things in their first 8 weeks including fireworks/multi audio cd, grooming table, children etc. My vet was very impressed with her puppy pack and high standards too. We've kept in contact and she has just had a second litter!
If you decide on a mini then you must look up *. She's equally fantastic, close to you in E.Grinstead and a very good dog trainer and Schnauzer groomer.

[Ed] Please do not mention breeders by name in the public forum. You are welcome to send recommendations to other members via email or private message.[/Ed]
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

Hey thanks,

As it was between Christmas and New Year we decide not to annoy any breeder, but we'll start contacting some as of next week :)

We expected standard to cost more money in food, but not not to see such a price difference for the insurance when compared to the mini. I guess they are that rare!
Funnily enough, in the past two years we only have only seen two schnauzers in the streets around where we live, both where standard :D
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

@Only the brave lovely profile picture! They look so cute when puppies with their tiny beard!
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

Well, we have finally been able to see both mini and standard in the fur and our preference definitely goes to a standard one. :)

We found a breeder and will have to wait until this summer, but it is worth the wait for a lovely black standard to join the family!

We'll put pictures on here once we have him/her. In the meantime, we'd like to thank everyone for their advice and tips, plus maintening this lovely forum that is full of information.
Black standard owner
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Congratulations, I don't think you will regret getting a standard, although I think the same applies for minis! Looking forward to seeing photos as and when
Hector
First Name: Hector

Post by Hector »

Hi
I too am looking for a black standard, if anyone can help I would be grateful ! Have had absolutely no luck so far.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hector wrote:Hi
I too am looking for a black standard, if anyone can help I would be grateful ! Have had absolutely no luck so far.
Have you looked at the Kennel Club or Champ Dogs?

Standards are few and far between so you may need to get a breeder list from the breed clubs and start making contact to see if they have a waiting list and what their breeding plans are. Expect to be interviewed by the breeder, good breeders want to know what sort of people/home/life their pups will get ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
5_o_clock_tea

Post by 5_o_clock_tea »

@Hector I have PM you a message with some details to help you. Black schnauzer puppies seem to appear only once in a blue moon :D

Thanks all, the wait seems like an eternity, but then we'll have the nice summer days to expose the puppy to a lot of things, which is better than the current weather :-\

Also, it gives us time to keep doing researches, pick a name and watch programmes about dog training :)
Black standard owner
Grovelea

Post by Grovelea »

I have pm'd you Hector
have the courage to stand up for what you believe to be right, even if everyone else is sitting down, as long as you are prepared to be hammered for it.